Need window balances

A home owner from Texarkana, Texas says:

The tube is 28 7/8" long. The windows are aluminum, original to house, built in the 70's we believe. One of the pictures show a number "2" on the end piece. Am not presently at house, but can get picture for you of window and inside edge where part fits. Believe I am needing for more than one window, but others are not same height.

Would appreciate any help you could give us. No one in our area carries old parts.

Thanking you in advance, Ruth

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0719.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0718.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0717.jpeg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for writing in! We are working diligently to determine if there is a suitable replacement for your existing spiral balances. These exact balances are no longer made but we believe we may have an alternative that could potentially work for you.

Once we have confirmed, we will be able to reach out to you with more information.

Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Jasmine, thank you so much for updating with me. Will be waiting to hear back from you. It's nice to know you can still get help on older items. Ruth

Hi Ruth,

I'm happy to help! Our senior expert was able to walk me through the process you would need to go through to replace your existing balances. It will take a bit of work but it is doable. This is a repair that will take two people to complete.

Unfortunately the window balance manufacturer went out of business at the turn of the century. For your metal sash, you will need our S500-29" red tip balances with the 17-012 balance brackets. These brackets hook on the bow tie at the end of the balance spiral. 

To install these balances, you would drop them from the top of the sash into the channel. The 33-017 screw is used to attach the balance tube at the top of the window channel. Then you'll need to raise the sash and have someone hold it up while you attach the bottom bracket (17-012) with the 33-073 screw; the U-shape end corrals the spiral. 

Next, use your finger to bring up the spiral to the bracket and attach the 75-005 charging tool (for non-tilt windows) and turn the spiral clockwise three turns and hook it to the bracket. Repeat the other side and try the sash. If the sash creeps down, raise and hold up the sash and give the balances another turn or two. 

Now the 17-012 doesn't have that extra nylon slide like the old shoe, so you might have to add the 67-002 nylon face guide, two on each side; one on top and one on bottom of the face of the sash. Then slide the lip between the sash and window track and screw it on to the sash. You'll need to do both sides of the sash to keep the sash square to the window track.

Please feel free to reach out to use with any questions you may have!

Thanks for listing all the parts needed. I placed the order. I'll let you know how it goes. Ruth

It was my pleasure to assist! Again, please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions.

Have a great weekend!

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.