New Channel Balance Parts for Lawson Windows

A handy person from Port Saint Lucie, FL says:

Hi!

I have about 6 or 7, maybe more (need to check them), Lawson windows (non-tilt) that need new channel balances. The windows are about 11 years old. The plastic parts are breaking, or the string or some have the small metal pulleys cracking and breaking. Should go for replacing the entire assembly or purchase just the individual parts to repair them? I'm pretty handy and have a complete workshop. What would you recommend? Also, I can see model # stamped in the channels like 3550 and 2940. Should I go for a heavier option and get a 2950? These windows seem pretty heavy to lift and are far from smooth opening. We had the house built and they've never been the best windows. I suspect these are super cheap windows. Just looking for the best, recommended option at this point. Lastly, should I wait for the other windows to break or be proactive and just start replacing all of them? We have 20 windows in total.

Looking for your recommended approach to these.

Thank you,

Mark

Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, Mark! Sounds like you're in the market for new balances. When parts on the balances start breaking, we normally suggest replacing the entire system. We can help determine what you need if you want to send us over some photos showing the entire length and close-ups of the plastic attachments.

As far as the "3550" and "2940" stamped on your channels - they correspond with the spring strength, so we suggest sticking with the original strength. If you want to double check yours, just weigh the bottom sash on a bathroom scale to make sure you are getting the right weight range.

Hi Kathleen! Thanks for the response. Here's the picture of one of the pieces...

I think I need the model S350-30? I'll also order S350-36 for the bigger windows which is what the channel bar length measures at for those.

Thank you,
Mark Dye

Hi Kathleen!

Any. Chance to review the photos?

Thank you,
Mark
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Yes, Mark, we have. Thank you for your continued patience with us. Focus on your attention to the bottom shoe of your balance. Depend on the measurement of your balance shoe will determine whether our S350-30 or S380-30 channel balance would work for you. Take a look at the diagram below for assistance. 

Comparison of 15-004 and 15-005
Comparison of 15-004 and 15-005
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.