Old aluminum frame non tilt windows.

A handy person from St. Louis MO. says:

Hi, I am trying to help an elderly couple get their condo to pass city code. We need 4 spiral balances and the plastic pieces that the balances attach to the frame with. As you can see from the pictures the plastic pieces are nearly gone so, I can even begin to guess what the look like. I have my hat in my hand hoping you can identify the parts needed. I don't have email on my phone so if possible a call or text would be much appreciated. Thanks, Jim. Have a happy and safe 4th. God Bless The U.S A.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0A205B44-5B30-48F0-8976-BCB3250B5711.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AF41562C-1269-4034-8549-12D39E50A506.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3B088726-6542-44EA-A657-A7881CBFF889.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 64700DB6-EAE1-48D1-AD80-A23A672853BC.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not have direct phone lines for part identification but we'd be happy to help you through this thread. Take a look and compare the specifications of the 3/8" diameter S400 and 5/8" diameter S500 spiral balances to the ones you're replacing. You'll need to confirm the length of the housing tube and weigh the sash to follow the strength chart under the balance product page. You can also find a list of related mounting brackets under the related items section of our product pages. Thanks for posting! 

Thanks for your timely reply. The photos you sent don't show how the nylon bracket affixes to the window frame. I assume they all screw to the frame? Unfortunately I may have to return to the property and take apart a working window to get a better idea as to which mounting bracket we need. Which I hate to do because that bracket very well may break as soon as I mess with it. Are either of these 2 photos any help as to which mounting bracket we need? Oh, and my bad. I have bought and replaced enough spiral balances that I should have included the length. They are 22 inches. Thanks! Jim Adams
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C2EBB382-5D52-4914-9A38-EE276359A90B.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5724CC31-92BD-4918-9233-DACCB14A17DC.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey

We do offer a guide that shows how these types of non-tilt spiral balances install, which you can view here. Unfortunately, we can not identify the bracket that you need based on the damaged part shown in your photos. I can tell you that these brackets attach either to the bottom of the sash as shown in our guide, or to the side of the sash frame. We'll include examples of the types of brackets that we carry below. 

Thank you for you help. Placing an order now.
Profile picture of Casey

Great, we're happy to help. Just to clarify, we can not confirm if either of the examples shown in our last post would work for your application. They were only included to show the two bracket styles that we offer. 

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.