Old rental apartment sash marked 2530

A quick learner from NY says:

Hi,

I'm not sure which series this will be for this old sash.

There's a 2530 marking on it.

I think the bottom is 15-002 but not sure about the top shoe.

Thanks!!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200404_150406.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200404_150401.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200404_150353.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Looks like you need a new channel balance. I believe the top fitting you show there is a 19-002. Since you also identified your bottom fitting as a 15-002, that would make this a Series 351 channel balance. Look it over and let me know if you agree with my assessment.

Thank you for replying! I also thought about 19-002 but the part on the top seems a bit different, but I don't know if it matters. Primarily the hole and groove in the middle. But if it's not important, I'll follow your recommendation. Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom

I see what you mean. I wouldn't worry about that. The top fitting, for its part, serves a very simple function. All it has to do is catch the top sash guide and take out clip. Our 19-002 performs that job the same way yours does, so it should be okay.

Thank you so much!!
Profile picture of Tom

You got it! If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm more than happy to help.

Hi Tom! Thank you for your help before - I got the part and tried to install it. Unfortunately the window doesn't seem to take the sash down when installed. I suspect it's because of the shoe being too short. What do you think? What can I do?
I added images of left shoe (old) and right (new).
Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200418_190433.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200418_190449.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

The balance shouldn't  be sticking out of the bottom of the sash like that. I recommend getting the old and new balance out of the window and holding them side by side. Please carefully look them over for any significant difference and let me know what you find. Pay careful attention to the length of the metal channel and the depth of the bottom shoe. From these photos, I see nothing that would cause this issue, so I'm at a loss. According to the data you gave us, this should have worked.

A quick learner says:
Sorry for the late response. They're pretty much identical from what I can see. Looking at window itself, both sides seem to be the same. Could it be something about the window frame? Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200425_083827.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200425_083816.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200425_083844.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200425_084534.jpg
A quick learner says:
I think whatever the problem is, it's limited to the window or the frame since putting an old sash instead of the new one, results in the same problem. Anything to look for in the window or frame that might prevent from the sash to stay in place? I should note that I can pull the window with both triggered up to a point that the right one jumps back out.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Looking at your last photo in your most recent group of images, I can see that you're missing a top sash guide. These hold the channel balance under the sash. That being broken is the reason your balance is going up like that. Please watch the video below for clarification on what this problem is and how you can fix it. You can also see our complete selection of top sash guides here so that you can pick out a match for what you have now.

Also in your previous question, you mentioned that the sash wasn't closing with the new balances. The reason might be the hole you are attaching the balance hook to. Most window manufacturers punch two holes near the center of the track. The lower hole is for the bottom sash and the top hole is for the top sash. You should be using the bottom hole for the lower sash. Double check that just to be sure.

A quick learner says:
Thank you Paul! I took down the window again and indeed noticed the top sash guide on the right is broken. That seems to be reason for this issue, thank you for noticing.
A quick learner from NYC says:
Hi,

Sorry for getting back to this only now. I was trying to find the correct kind of the missing guide on the website but with no luck. I think this one is close but not quite.
https://www.swisco.com/Top-Sash-Guide-Pair/pd/Top-Sash-Channel-Balance-Guides/18-116

I attached photos of the left guide from the window (I'm missing the right one).
Would appreciate your help identifying the right one.

Thanks,
Dekel
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200812_094329.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200812_084115.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200812_084107.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200812_084103.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200812_084051.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello, Dekel. I actually think that the 18-116 looks like a dead ringer. Can you specify why you don't think it will work?

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.