Owens Corning Window

A home owner from Pa. says:
We had 13 double hung Owens Corning fiberglass windows, model FDH, installed in 1995. The manufacturer no longer makes them and the installer is out of business. Some of the windows have become almost impossible to raise or lower. I removed one of the most sticky ones and took some photos. See below.

The Pivot shoe is very hard to move up and down, even with the window removed so I'm guessing it's not structural problem with the wall. I didn't disconnect the spiral balance from the shoe and don't know if the problem is debris in the tube or around the shoe. I didn't see any cutouts to remove the shoe and I'm afraid to cut one or force the channel open. The tube is 24" long, 9/16" in diameter and has a red end.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230611_135647.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230613_135401.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230611_135647.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230611_135652.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230613_134955.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

If the hardware in your photos came with the windows, the issue is most likely that the balances need to be replaced. You can start by taking a look at the S600-24 spiral balance with a red tip option. 

If you need new pivot shoes as well, we would need to see yours uninstalled, as well as confirm the exact width and thickness. We offer the video below that will walk you through the process of making a cutout to access them. 

We would also need to see your pivot bar fully removed from the window sash with written-out dimensions to compare to our replacement options. Thank you! 

A home owner from Pa. says:
Hi - I purchased 2 #600-24 balancers and *75-006 charging tool. Removed the lower sash and them the left balancer, which seems to be OK and looks like a match for the ones I bought. The pivot shoe is extremely hard to slide all by itself but I don't see any way to remove it and can't tell if it's so dirty it's almost frozen. How hard should they be to slide up and down with sash and balancer removed?

Also, by chance I removed the left balancer first. The rod was rotated maybe 30° to 45° so the top attachment screw faced outside. When I went to remove the right balancer the rod was rotated in the other direction. There is no way to get a screwdriver aligned with the philips head to remove the screw. Is this normal? It looks like the upper sash, which works OK, has the same balancer mounting rotation.

The sashes are fiberglass and the track the pivot shoes ride in looks like a u-channel pushed into the frame with built-in pile weather stripping.

Thanks for the help,
Frank
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Right Balancer Top.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Left Balancer Top.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Regarding your pivot shoe, with the sash out and balance removed, the black center cam shoe should be in a vertical position to lock it in place. With a screwdriver placed in the cam, turn the cam away from you. This should release the pivot shoe to move freely up and down the track. If not, you will need to replace it with 15-047 pivot shoe. 

For the bottom sash, you will need to make a cut-out in the jamb track at the top of the window. To install the balances, attach the tube at the top of the window track. Then, bring the spiral up to the red nylon bearing of the tube. Attach the 75-006 tool to the bottom spiral hole and give the spiral about three or four clockwise turns. You should feel the balance having tension. Lastly, hook the spiral balance to the pivot shoe. 

Alternate image for 15-047
Alternate image for 15-047

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.