Part Identification

A quick learner from Raleigh, NC says:
I am thinking this part should hold the window in an up position. It my be partially destroyed. Pics 2 and 4 are of the same window. Pic 1 is a different window with the part more in tact. What is the part I should be looking for? If you have it, I need it quickly.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pic 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pic 4.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pic 2.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hey there! The part you are referring to is called the top sash guide. Their function is to hold the balances down and prevent them from shooting up in the track. When they're broken, the window will not properly be held in place properly.

To make the most accurate replacement recommendation, I'll need to see it completely removed and in an undamaged condition. I'll specifically need a front and side view, like a mug shot. Also, written dimensions would also help, if possible.

The subject plastic part has been in the window for 40 years and would have to be destroyed in pieces to be removed. Unless you have a suggestion I think I am looking at replacing the window.

I do understand that they may be brittle but that is the only way we'd be able to identify the correct replacement. There are way too many in our inventory to be able to determine the exact replacement you'll need. The design and the measurements will matter.

If you would prefer to just replace the entire window, that would have to be up to your discernment. My suggestion would be to do everything you can to try and replace the hardware to avoid the costs of replacing the entire window.

I've included a video that shows how to remove the top sash guides. Take a look and see what you think.

3 photos of top sash guide; the guides for the side of the window are loose and easily removed with some missing; the window itself is so loose it can be removed just by lifting it up; any real tracking to keep the window in place is not there. Can this really be fixed?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pic 5.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pic 6.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pic 7.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pic 8.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pic 9.jpg

Thanks for posting! I suggest starting with our 18-060. Carefully compare the dimensions from the diagrams to confirm that this is the right replacement. Let me know if they are not a match.

Alternate image for 18-060
Alternate image for 18-060

Alternate view of 18-060
Alternate view of 18-060

How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.