Pivot Shoe Replacement

A quick learner says:
Hi, I am trying to replace a broken pivot shoe. All measurements lead me to believe that it should be replaced with the 15-046 pivot shoe that you sell. The only difference is the 15-046 has a white cam and mine is light blue. I haven't taken a micrometer to to it, but the thickness is slightly over 1/2". Should I be focusing on the 15-015? Is the pivot bar slot on the 15-015 the same size as the 15-046? I've attached photos for reference. Additionally, if it helps, my spiral balances are orange tipped and measure 9/16 (5/8 as you say in the trade) and are 28 inches long.

Thanks,

Scott
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0256.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0257.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0258.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. If your pivot shoe is slightly over 1/2" thick, the 15-015 is likely the better fit. Just confirm that thickness of 17/32" to be safe. If so, and if the width matches (1-1/4"), then I think this might be what you're looking for.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

There's nothing particular about your shoe that I can see that narrows it down. You will need to measure your part as precisely as you possibly can. That's the only way to be sure; there's no trick or short cut to it, I'm afraid. It all comes down to the hard details.

I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to the "teeth." Are you talking about the top ridges into which the balance clips? If so, that doesn't matter so much. both the 15-015 and 15-046 are compatible with the same kind of balances despite their difference in design.

The 15-015 is compatible with the 26-040 pivot bar.

A quick learner says:
Thanks Bob. Is there anything telling about the photos I sent that would identify the pivot shoe as a 15-015? A notch or something on the back? I read a response to another customer of yours from "Paul" dated (3/13/13) that the 15-015 has a tell-tale notch on the back. Not sure what notch he was referring to. Perhaps the braking system? Also, the teeth on the 15-015 (2 teeth) are different than the teeth in the photo I sent you (3 teeth). In my photo, they actually resemble the teeth on the 15-046. Will this be an issue? And is the pivot bar slot on the 15-015 the same size as the one on the 15-046. I found a thread on your site that gave the dimensions of the pivot bar slot for the 15-046 but couldn't locate anything for the 15-015. I just want to get this order right as I'm going to be replacing a lot of these in my home.

Thanks,

Scott
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

We agree with Casey, Scott. We don't think that's going to make a big difference in operation. With pivot shoes, by and large three things matter: are the width and thickness the same, and is the cam compatible with your current pivot bars. That's why we think the 15-015 or 15-046 should work OK, depending on the confirmed measurements.

A quick learner says:
Thanks Tom! Yes, I was referring to the top ridges in the balance clip. I appreciate the feedback. Additionally, will a rear brake (like my original) vs. a side brake like the one that the 15-015 has make any difference in my application? I just spoke to Casey(?) in customer service as I originally didn't see your response, and she didn't believe that rear brake vs. side brake to be an issue. Just making sure that you too agree with that before I place my order.

Thanks,

Scott
A quick learner says:
Thanks Bob! I really appreciate all of the expertise I've receive from you guys. I may order both and see whichever works best, but you've certainly narrowed the field for me. Thanks again.

Scott
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.