Pivot Shoe Weight Specs

A quick learner from Illinois says:
Hello, I am working on replacing some of my pivot shoes and am trying to understand if different shoes have different "weights" - in other words, are they are able to apply differing amount of locking force, or is that completely dependent on the width?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pivot shoe assemblies
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. The two pivot shoes you are showing look like our 15-046 which is used for the lower sash and the 15-154 pivot shoe which is usually used for the top sash with a indented front to compensate for the winged pivot bar. Have a look at the specifications and see how they compare with yours. 

The weight you're referencing doesn't apply to the pivot shoes, but the spiral balance tube strength is determined by the window sash weight. 

A quick learner from Illinois says:
Got it, thanks for the information. I did guess correctly and ordered some of the 15-046, and I am having an issue where when I rotate the pivot shoe 90deg to lock it, it locks, but then when I rotate it back the lock remains engaged and I have to manually push down on the cam/wedge on the back of the part to disengage the lock. Any ideas for why this might be happening? I've tried three or four different ones and all have the same issue.

Additionally, I also incorrectly guessed on the blue part and ordered 15-015, and while that one is not an exact replacement the locking mechanism seems to hold better and it does not have the issue I am experiencing with the 15-046s - is there any reason not to use that part instead if it seems to function OK?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Sometimes the window tracks can be fickle, where the original 15-046 pivot shoe correctly works; then you replace it with a similar locking-style pivot shoe and it doesn't. You'd want to go with the 15-015 pivot shoe with a side brake instead of a back brake on the 15-046 and it works. So we recommend the 15-015 pivot shoe on this window, another window might work better with the 15-046 pivot shoe.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.