Replacement Balance Springs

A home owner from SoCal says:
I have one broken balance spring on a Simonton double hung window. Reading the numbers on the spring would seem to indicate it's a 35" spring with a 9# rating. (see) images.

I would like to purchase a replacement and a couple of spares. I'd also like to purchase replacement holders.

You selection only goes up to 35" with 8# rating. Will that work?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named simonton balance spring
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named simonton balance spring
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. We're happy to help with this. However, we'll have to see the pivot shoe first to identify the compatible coil springs. Let me know if that's something you can get for us!

Well these images work? If not I'll pull one of the pivot shoes out to get a better image.
Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named installed pivot shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named installed pivot shoe
Profile picture of Emily

Yes, thank you! We don't sell this exact shoe but the 15-199 is similar. This is designed to be used with the 1/2" Series 160 and 3/8" Series 165 coil springs which look similar to your old one. You'll have to measure the width of the old spring band to determine the best match.

I'm assuming your window uses one 9-pound spring on each side of the window to support an 18-pound sash but please correct me if I'm wrong! 

If I assume right and the spring band is 1/2", you can use the S160-9 9-pound spring on each side of the window.

If the spring band is 3/8", I recommend you use one S165-4 4-pound spring and one S165-5 5-pound spring on both sides of the window. This equals 9 pounds of support on each side, totaling 18 pounds of overall support. You will also need the 15-204 since this will be a double spring setup. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Thank you for the assistance.
I've ordered (4 each) springs (S160-9) and shoes(15-199).
One set for immediate replacement one set for back up.
Have a good week!
Profile picture of Emily

I'm happy I could help. Take care and best of luck with the repair! 

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.