Replacement Balances, General Aluminum Windows.

A contractor from New Braunfels Texas says:

My name is Paul, I own and operate Walsh Building Company in New Braunfels Texas. I built a small subdivision about 17 years ago, and General Aluminum Tilt Sash windows were used. None of the windows operate, and I'm trying to help the current owner by finding replacement parts and labor. There are a total of 9 windows needing 2 balances each.The length of the frames are as follows: 6) at 70", 2) at 82.5", and 1) at 42", approximately. The balances, shown in the attached pictures, are round, and approximately 3/8" in diameter. I did not measure the metal stud on the window that is used to attach the window to the balance, but I will provide that, and any additional information needed before ording. Do you think you have something that will work?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Tilt Spiral Balance
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out! Your spiral balances appear to be the 3/8" diameter Series 900 Spiral Balance. To determine the correct replacement for each of your windows, you'll need to remove the existing balances and confirm their exact dimensions. Unfortunately, we would not be able to confirm the right fit based on the size of the frame.

In addition to the diameter of the balance, you'll need to confirm the length of the metal tube (not including the tip), and the tip color. If there is no tip color or it does not match the available tip color for the balance you need, you'll need to obtain the exact weight of your sash.

If you are looking to replace the pivot shoe in the window, you will need to remove this to confirm the measurements as well. Your shoe looks like it could be the 15-045 3/8" Thick Pivot Shoe. To confirm, carefully review and compare the dimensions below.

Dimensions for 15-045
Dimensions for 15-045

Just wanted you to know that I will be forwarding the information you requested. Have not had time to do that yet but I hope to have it to you within the next few days

Hi Paul!

Thanks for letting us know! We'll be here to provide you with the recommendations you need as soon as you are able to provide us with the information. Please take all the time you need.

Also, don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you might have.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Jasmine-

I measured and weighed today. Here is what I found.

One window has Balances with round tubes 3/8" x 23". When fully extended with the spiral portion exposed the total length is 46 3/8". There is no tip color. The sash weighs 15#.

All others have Balances with round tubes 3/8" x 35". When fully extended with the spiral portion exposed the total length is 70 1/2". There is no tip color. The sash weighs 22#.

We would need 1 pair of balances with 23" tubes, and 8 pair of balances with 35" tubes.

The top of the tube attaches with a 1/8" diameter screw, and the bottom attaches to the pivot shoe with the hardware as shown in the pictures

If any additional info is needed please let me know. Thanks-

Paul

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Top Attach.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bottom Attach.jpg

Hello Paul,

Thanks for confirming this information. Based on the dimensions you've confirmed you'll need the S900-23 with a red tip option and the S900-35 with either a red tip (which can support 7 to 22lbs) or a green tip (which can support 14 to 26lbs). If the weight of the sash is over 22lbs at all, I would suggest using the green tip.

The screw we typically recommend using to secure these balances at the top of the window is the 33-016 #8 x 1" SS Installation Screw. Although, if this screw is different in size from your existing screws, I would suggest taking it to a local hardware store so that they can match up the replacement you need.

Again, your pivot shoe looks like it could be the 3/8" Thick 15-045 Pivot Shoe.

Dimensions for 15-045
Dimensions for 15-045

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.