Replacement Pivot Assembly

A handy person from Jeffersonville PA says:
This is a pic of a pivot assembly for one of my upstairs windows. It consists two parts with each 1.25" wide, 5/8" thick and overall length of 4". Can you please provide me with the correct replacement. I will need 4 sets and the windows are 16 lbs each. Thankyou for your assistance.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window coil spring upstairs.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. We do sell the components for this coil balance, though it's unfortunately not sold as a kit. See our 15-087 pivot housing, 15-086 secondary housing, and Series 180 coil spring. 

If your sash is 16 pounds, and considering that you use 2 springs per side, you'll want the 4 pound Series 180 strength option.

Thanks Tom, I will place an order. I recently bought and installed two15-087 pivot housing and springs for another window. While I was able to get them installed I could not get the pivot to lock the spring when installing the sash. Is that normal? Otherwise it works great. Larry
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for the business, Larry, it means a lot. As for your follow up question, I'm not quite sure I understand what you're describing. Are you saying that the pivot housing didn't lock in place when you turned the cam? 

Yes that was the problem I was seeing.
Profile picture of Tom

That is odd. I'm not sure why that might be happening. I know that the 15-087 is made of a few different components that snap together. It could be that the cam was out of position when the two halves were snapped back together, which rendered it unable to lock the shoe in place. That is just a guess, though. You may want to take it apart and see if anything is wrong with the cam.

Tom,I figured it out. There is a slight difference between your 15-087 pivot assembly and the original assembly from the window. The original assembly has ridges along parallel sides of one of the faces. (See Photo) It makes the assembly slightly thicker. When the cam is turned it expands the assembly and the ridges act as the brakes. The original assembly is.590 in. thick with the ridges whereas 15-087 is @.560 in. thick without the ridges, and therefore does not expand to the full depth of the channel. I don't know if you have a better fitting unit to address that difference. Thanks. Larry
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0744.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

That is definitely a peculiar style. I don't think I've ever seen this design before but it would absolutely account for the problem you described. I'm sorry for not noticing it at first!

Please give us a little time to look into this. I can't promise that we can supply this style, but we will do our best to track it down. I'll try to get back to you ASAP one way or the other.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.