Replacement coil spring

A handy person from Hudson, Florida says:
I need a replacement coil spring. The end has a coiled end.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230826_194447.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230826_215550.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230826_202004.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230826_194505.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. This is an interesting setup. That pivot shoe is the kind typically seen with spiral balances--it might be our 15-046. The Coil Balances are our Series 150. Is your old spring stamped '1040'? If so, that likely means it is meant to support 10 pounds individually; we don't carry the Series 150 with that calibration, but you can instead use (2) of the S150-5 5 pound springs on each side of the sash. This will equal 10 pounds of support on either side of the sash, for a total of 20 pounds of support overall. If you want to be extra safe this is right, please weigh the window sash these balances support, and I can work it out for you. 

For a new pivot shoe, compare your old shoe's width and thickness of our 15-140, as seen below. Let me know if anything differs.

Alternate image for 15-140
Alternate image for 15-140

Finally, for new supports for the springs, use the 15-143, 15-144, and 15-145 for each spring. These 'sandwich' around each spring. Let me know if you have further questions. 

A handy person from Hudson, Florida says:
Hi, thank you for the information. How do I use two 5 lb spring coils on one side? Put them together to where they are doubled.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Yep, that's exactly right. You would attach both springs to the pivot shoe, and then stretch one up and over the first so that it rests on top of it. It may be a little awkward to install that way, but there's no other way around it unfortunately. It just takes a little patience and a steady hand, but don't be surprised if it slips out of your grip a few times. It's bound to happen.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.