Replacement for crank mechanism for casement window

A quick learner from Easton, PA says:

I need to replace the crank part and the arms of this mechanism. It is a small casement window in the bathroom, approx. 14 inches in width and about 24 inches in height.

Thank you,"

Vince  

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240317_141448.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240317_141521.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240317_141531.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240317_141537.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Vince. This looks like the ROTO Short-Arm Operator, the 39-091. The handle that works with this newer version is the 39-224. Unfortunately, ROTO discontinued this assembly, and many of the parts it uses are no longer made. This includes that bracket arm that connects the short arm to the window sash. You will have to reuse your old one if possible. 

You also show the window hinge at the bottom of the window. This exact one is no longer made, but our 10" 36-004-10 might work as a substitute, so long as you replace the top hinge at the same as well. Take a look at the dimensions below and let me know if it matches well with the old window hinge. Let me know if you have further questions.

DImensions for 36-004-10
DImensions for 36-004-10

A quick learner from Easton, PA says:
Bob,
I'll order all the parts, and I'm sure I can work out the kinks. The only question I have is if I use the existing hinge bars that are already attached to the window, how is the pin removed that connects the short bar from the crank mechanism to the bars that open the window? See photo.

Thanks,
Vince
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240317_141521.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Sure, that looks like the link arm for the operator. You can disconnect it by using a slotted screwdriver (or any other similar tool you have) to push the detach clip back; that'd be the flat, "claw" shaped clip you see bracing the pin. Once the detach clip is pushed back, the arm will release from the pin and can be safely disconnected.

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.