Replacement part

A quick learner from Broken arrow, Oklahoma says:
Hello this unit is broken and I need to replace it. Does the end unit of the spiral matter? Or will any replacement end work? I would like to go ahead and replace the other side as well so they both match. I don't even know the proper name for these. Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named spiral balance and shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named spiral balance shoe
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

The part shown here is called a spiral balance. I believe you may have a tilt window so if that's the case, see the 3/8" diameter Series 900 or 5/8" diameter Series 600. You'll want to measure the outer tube of your old balance to confirm the proper Series. 

There should also be a colored tip on the balance. If there isn't one or it's too faded, get back to us with the exact sash weight and we can work from there. 

Do you need the pivot shoe as well? If so, I will need you to write out the thickness and width to narrow down some options. 

It's also a good idea to replace the balances on both sides of the window! Pairing an old balance with a new balance will cause the new one to wear out much faster since it has to pick up the slack for its older counterpart.

A quick learner from Broken arrow, Oklahoma says:
Here are more detailed photos
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named front of pivot shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tip of spiral
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named locks and window
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for the additional photos! The balance tube and pivot shoe look like they could be the Series 900 and the 15-212 but I recommend reviewing the specifications of each to confirm they align with yours. 

The colored tip of the balance also appears to be too faded to make out. In that case, you will need to weigh the window sash on a scale to determine the appropriate tip color. 

Alternate image for 15-212
Alternate image for 15-212

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.