Replacement parts for old Alcan double hung (guillotine) windows

A handy person from Richelieu, Québec, Canada says:
I am looking for parts for old ALCAN aluminum double hung windows: Do you have the little plastic trolleys that slide up and down in the side rail? Those parts hold the sash pivot at the bottom and the balance rod.

Thank you,
Gilles
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Gilles. I could be wrong but I believe you're referring to the pivot shoes. These are the plastic blocks that the bottom of the balances attach to, and from which the window sash pivots. Alcan windows tend to use a load of different pivot shoe types. The only reliable way to know what shoe you might need is to remove an undamaged one and show us pictures, and also tell us its exact width and thickness. From there we should be able to narrow down what shoe you need from our selection here. The video below shows how to remove and replace pivot shoes. Check it out. 

A handy person from Richelieu, Québec, Canada says:

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Ì have joined a photo of the pivot shoe.

Size is 9/16 x 1 1/4w. X 2 1/8 l. (thickness is measured at the cam, which is slightly thicker than the shoe itself).

For the time being, I solved my replacement problem by cannibalizing the shoe from an old window , stored in the garage, that had been removed by the previous owner to be replaced by a door.

I'm very happy to have found someone who knows about this stuff and who (hopefully) has the parts.

How much would those parts be? And, can they be sent in a simple envelope, which would rid us of the customs stuff? Also, do you have other parts, such as coil torsion springs for balancers?

Thank you,

Good day,

Gilles

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230925_120356875.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hello again! First off, I'm glad to hear you were able to get this window operational again. That was a lucky find.

As for the shoe itself, now that I see it I can verify that we don't sell an exact match. I think yours is an older style that's not made anymore. However I believe our 15-121 can serve as a viable alternative. This is the same size at 1-1/4" x 9/16" and is compatible with all the same hardware, so I can't foresee any specific issues.

You can see a detailed price breakdown on the 15-121 store page. I'm afraid we don't have any control over how these are shipped through customs, as that's handled by FedEx, but you can see our shipping policy here.

We sell a ton of other parts, including balances. I'd be happy to look over anything you can show us, but otherwise you can browse our full catalog on our site at your convenience.

Alternate image for 15-121
Alternate image for 15-121

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.