Replacement window crank handle

A home owner from Freeland WA says:
Is this 39-114L, Crank Handle, 11/32" compatible with Milgard vinyl/wood clad windows? Our original Milgard window cranks have a rubber shaft in the crank that strips out over time. Milgard no longer carries these and the ones they do carry now doesn't fit the window cover so it is useless.

Attaching w photos of the window crank I am trying to replace.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3548.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3547.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Is the diameter of the spline that the handle fits onto 11/32"? If so, then yes, the 39-114L should work for you. You can always send a picture of the existing operator in its entirety, including the link arm(s), if you want further confirmation. The identity of the operator will tell me for sure what handles you can use. 

A home owner from Freeland WA says:
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Yes, the diameter of the spline is 11/32". I have taken a couple of photos of the operator as well. My husband backed the set screw out and reattached the crank all the way down and it tightened again and it seems to be working for the moment. They may not have been installed with the crank all the way down originally, but I would like to have reserve crank handles in the event these fail, so I would like confirmation if possible, that your crank handles are compatible with our Milgard product.

Thank you for your time and expertise.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3571.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3570.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3569.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3568.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to us! It's a good thing you sent these photos. This operator is a kind made by ROTO, and has a hex-shaped spline (the spline should come out to about 5/16" wide). Our 39-224 folding handle should work with this. Most likely your original handles had the hex shape hole to slot around that spline, but they wore down with age. I believe this is our best match for your operators. Take a look and see what you think.

Alternate view of the gear hole
Alternate view of the gear hole

A quick learner from Feeland WA says:
Bob, thank you so much for all the information. I have learned that there is a lot more to this than I thought originally (LOL). Unfortunately, we are looking for the "clay" color, not white. We will stick with my husband's latest fix *adjusting the set screw to keep the handle on" and then reevaluate the whole window operator system or replace the window (yikes). Again, thank you for all your enlightening knowledge.
Profile picture of Bob

That's completely understandable. Just let us know if there is anything else that we can do to assist you. 

SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.