Replacement window parts

A home owner from Buffalo says:
Looks to me like the spring is broken. Those two coils should be connected right? I dont see any marking indicating what strength the springs are. The window pictures are a different window that is operating.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5AB06F94-C5E8-4F84-8CB3-D27C68B7D870.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 47EBDE0D-DCDC-49DE-B017-C7E7519DB5B1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7921886C-A5F4-4A3D-969D-5EB2C06A57C6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2A5A43F1-964E-49A6-A0BA-58A2583718F3.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0DE422B5-875B-48BC-B25D-45D16F06E544.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

This looks like our 15-177 pivot shoe to me. The Series 152 coil springs are designed to work with this. I recommend you look over the specifications to ensure they match what you need. 

Alternate image for 15-177
Alternate image for 15-177

How do I determine which spring I need?
Profile picture of Emily

I recommend taking a look at the band of the coil spring for a stamped number. If there aren't any, get back to me with the exact sash weight and I'll be able to calculate what you need from there. 

I couldn't find any stamp on the coil

The sash is between 15.2 and 15.8 lbs.

I weighed it multiple times holding it using my bathroom scale then subtracting my weight. But never the same twice! Is that close enough?
Profile picture of Emily

Thanks for getting back to me! If you wanted to stick with the double coil setup you have now, you can use (2) S152-4 4-pound springs on both sides of the window. This would total 16 pounds of overall support which should be fine as long as the coil weights are within a pound of the sash's actual weight. 

Is there another way to do it? Can we speak over the phone?

Profile picture of Emily

I'm afraid our department doesn't use phones. We can only respond right here on this page, unfortunately. 

Hello again.

I ordered some 15-177 and some s-152 4s.

But the coils all are straight ends. I need at least some with the littke j curl that fits unto the channel in the 15-177
Profile picture of Emily

We don't sell your coil springs with curved ends, unfortunately. The Series 152 springs will still work with the 15-177 though. The springs are attached to the side of the shoe with a screw instead of hooking onto it. 

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.