Replacing Block and Tackle Channel Balance; hoping to verify correct replacement parts

A home owner from California says:
Channel Balance is 15" long and 1/2" wide
Stamped with 14-2
Window weighs 11.5 pounds and hoping to go up to 14-3 because windows are sagging with the 14-2.
Looks like 15" Series 380 Channel Balances and just wanted to double check with the pros before ordering 4 of them to replace balances for 2 identical windows (and I weighed both and checked all 4 balances are the same before reaching out).

Thanks in advance for the help!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8672.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8673.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8674.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8675.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8678.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I agree that this is likely an S380-15. The only other possibility is the S385-15. These two channel balances are nearly identical; the only difference is the 'depth' of the bottom nylon shoe, or the measurement from heel to toe. See the diagram below for reference. Measure the depth of your old balance's shoe to confirm which of these you need.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

As far as the stamp option goes, your balances' old stamp of 14-2 correlates with our stamp option of 1420, which will support a window sash in the weight range of 6 through 10 pounds. If your window sashes indeed weigh 11.5 pounds, then this certainly falls outside that range. Have these windows always been difficult to keep open, i.e., this was not a recent failure of the balances? If so, and you are confident in the measured sash weight, then I think it's possible these windows were installed with incorrectly-calibrated balances, and I agree moving up to 1430 makes sense. This option will support a sash in the weight range of 10 through 12 pounds. Let me know if you have further questions. 

A home owner from California says:
Thanks Bob!

Window sashes have always sagged and there are other quirks that suggest an incorrect install as well. Uninstalled both sashes and weighed them both separately to confirm that figure.

Great advice to measure and it turns out we have the slightly larger S385.

Waiting for an ID on one other balance and we'll be adding four S385-15's as well.

Appreciating your help so much!

-John
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Yep, that sounds like the original balances were too weak for the sash weight. Either the installers miscalculated or they just installed whatever weight they happened to have on them at the time; such things unfortunately are known to happen.

Weighing your sashes will definitely verify exactly what stamps you need. Please feel free to reach out if you had any follow up questions, though. We're always here to assist!

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.