Replacing very dated screen porch hardware

A home owner from Acton, MA says:
Hi Swisco!

Here are my front and rear screendoor sets.

The front now has a broken spring, and I've replaced the back door's spring several times. Think its time for some new hardware. Could you guide me to the correct sets?

Both have keyed locks but I only use the interior locking mechanism. Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named back-inside.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named back-outside.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named front-inside.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named front-outside.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hello there!

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

You could keep your outside pushbutton handle and replace the spring and the inside handle with the 40-038 and 40-117. If you do want to replace the complete handle set, the closest we carry would be the 40-034 and the 40-034K with the key. Note that the 40-034 has an inside handle that is a little different than yours so you might also want to order the 40-117 which matches up better to your existing inside handle. 

If you don't care about the outside key lock then you could go with the 40-215 pull-up lock. It has the same 1-3/4" hole centers and the inside handle is close to the one you now have. As for the inswing door, take a look at the 40-028. This is close to the one you now have. Take note that the key cylinder for this handle is no longer available so you will need to reuse the key cylinder you now have. Review the specifications for these parts and see what you think. 

A home owner from Acton, MA says:
Thanks Dave!

Great options and. I will have to decide to freshen up with all new hardware, or just do the spindle. Thank you!

Another follow up - regarding the closers. I've replaced the in-swing closer once but with not quite the right part. Can you point me to a better option there, as well as my out-swing which is a bit unique as well? Many thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20231109_163557386.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20231109_163432117.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20231109_163409362.jpeg

As for your outswing door, I would go with the 40-128 Deluxe closer. That looks like the closer you already have on the door. For the inswing closer I would go with the standard 40-077 being that it is at the header. Also if you want to change the closer bracket, we carry the 40-006 inswing bracket. 

A home owner from Acton MA says:
Hi Dave,

I ordered what I thought would be all my answers :) . Ran into a snag on both doors.

Outswing door - my strike plate is not a typical install, I suspect, so I could not cleanly replace it. The pull lever of 40-215 is beautiful but cannot latch.

Any suggestions on this one?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20231118_195030787.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20231118_195023684.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20231118_234059612.jpg
A home owner from Acton MA says:
On the front door, I cannot figure out how to get the old lock out of the door. I also ordered a new spindle, but it does not seem replaceable on the old hardware. Open to suggestions on that as well! Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20231118_200131244.MP.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20231118_200127389.jpg

When you say you "can't get the old lock out of the door", are you referring to the key cylinder? If so, try using a spray lubricant like WD-40. The cylinder might just be wedged in the hole in the door. As for the 40-038 spindle, that was to be used on your existing Push button in your first two photos.

Your keeper seems a little too tall for the 40-117. With that said, take a look at the 40-085 keeper. This keeper looks like it could be a little lower in profile than the one you have. You could also pack out the 40-117 using some cardboard pieces to build up the height of the 40-117 to meet the keeper. Another idea is to try filing down your existing keeper.

How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Door Closer with Drop-Pin Attachment [1080p]
How to Install a Door Closer with Drop-Pin Attachment [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
40-006 In-swinging Door Bracket Installation
40-006 In-swinging Door Bracket Installation
GUIDE
READ >
How to install the 40-128 storm door closer
How to install the 40-128 storm door closer
GUIDE
READ >
How to install the 40-077 storm door closer
How to install the 40-077 storm door closer
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.