Request Replacement Balance Suggestions

A home owner from Cranberry TWP, PA says:

Hello, I have 30 vinyl and wood double hung windows in my home that were installed in 1999. The window manufacturer is unknown. The balances are failing with the balance shoes getting stuck at the bottom of the windows. The balance lengths are 16" (8), 20" (4), 22" (16) and 28" (32) The only marking on the photographed 20" balance is "20C BSI KL". The window sashes with the 20" balance assemblies weigh 15 pounds.

Can you identify replacement balance assemblies that would work?

Thank you,

Kevin 

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. This certainly looks like our Series 775 Channel Balance, although I should stress from the onset that our Series 775 balances screw in at the top, whereas it looks like your old balances use some sort of clip. Let us know if you think this could be an issue. 

For each balance length you need you will want to find a stamp code that corresponds with one of the stamp options we have listed on each balance's product page; you will also want to confirm the size of the bottom wedge--this should either be 1" or 1-1/4". In the photo you show it looks like 1-1/4", but photos can be deceiving, and in any event you'll want to check each set of balances your replacing to be safe.

So for instance, in the photos you show, if it's a 20" balance then its our S775-20, with what appears to be a 1-1/4" wedge and a stamp option of 20C, which is for a window sash in the weight range of 14 through 18 lbs. If your window sash for this particular balance weighs 15 lbs, then this is ideal. Let us know if you have any other questions.

How to install a S775 balance
How to install a S775 balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.