Retrofitting casing to use a vent latch

A quick learner from Seattle, WA says:

Hi there - I have older vinyl "insulate" brand windows that have a top slider to lock the window, but most of them are plastic and broken, and there is no replacement. I'm considering using a vent latch like this and using a drill or something to "cut out" part of the casing so that these could snap in. Would that work, or should I consider these, which are visually more obtrusive.

https://www.swisco.com/Face-Mount-Vent-Latch/pd/Other-Replacement-Tilt-Window-Hardware/26-387

Thanks!

Chuck 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named WIN_20230708_09_43_11_Pro.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named WIN_20230708_09_43_21_Pro.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Hello,
You shouldn't need to make a cutout to install the 26-387 vent latches but you would need to make installation holes in the frame to mount them. If you haven't already, take a look at the installation video below to see if these could work for your application. Thank you! 
How to Replace a Window Vent Latch
How to Replace a Window Vent Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a Window Opening Control Device (WOCD) kit
How to install a Window Opening Control Device (WOCD) kit
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.