Rollers for a 1973 era sliding glass door, manufacturer unknown

A handy person from Tennessee says:
I'll use the following terminology: vertical frame member, horizontal frame member, 4-sided bracket, 3-sided bracket, roller axle. I'm trying to describe the door in a way that makes my terminology clear.

The door has a vertical frame member that runs the height of the door that seals to the glass.

The door has a horizontal frame member that runs the width of the door and fits inside the vertical frame member and also seals to the glass.

There's a 4-sided bracket that attaches to the lateral side of the vertical frame member by the upper mounting screw. It has a horizontal side that is flush against the upper edge of the horizontal frame member. It has a front and a back vertical side that are flush against the front and back vertical surfaces of the horizontal frame member, respectively. These front and back vertical sides have vertical slots in which the roller axle can travel for height adjustment. The lip on the bottom the horizontal frame member in which the front and back sweeps mount prevent the removal of this bracket from the assembled door.

There's a 3-sided bracket whose front and back vertical sides contact the roller's bearing assembly. The lateral vertical side of this bracket includes the threaded hole through which the height adjustment screw threads. The point of the height adjustment screw is flattened (after assembly) so that the screw can't be fully retracted from the bracket; so I cut off the head of the height adjustment screw in order to remove 3-sided bracket.

Picture 1532 shows 3-sided bracket through which the height adjustment screw threads. It shows the upper mounting screw and the height adjustment screw. Note the head has been cut off the height adjustment screw, and there's a plastic spacer. The picture also shows the vertical roller axle slot in the 4-sided bracket.

Picture 1534 shows the 3-sided bracket from another angle.

Picture 1535 shows the side of the 4-sided bracket through which the height adjustment screw extends.

Is it possible to replace the rollers on this door?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1532_800xh.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1534_600xh.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1535_800xh.JPG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

It is possible to replace your rollers but it looks like you're only showing the inner housing. It appears your outer housing is still in the door in your third picture. If you could show us a complete roller assembly put together and removed from the door, we can point you in the right direction. 

A handy person from Tennessee says:
Hello Emily et. al.,

I would have included a picture of the outer housing, but I couldn't see how to remove the outer housing from the bottom horizontal frame member. The sweep grove seems to be part of the fabrication of the bottom horizontal frame member and the presence of these sweep groves block the removal of the outer bracket through the bottom of the horizontal frame member. I don't know, but it seems to me that the manufacturer inserted the wheel assembly consisting of the combined outer and inner bracket parts into the end of the bottom horizontal frame member, then inserted the bottom horizontal frame member into the vertical frame member. So there seems to b e no access to the roller assemblies without destroying the door by removing the vertical frame members.

Is there anyone in your organization or network with enough familiarity of how such doors are constructed that they could inform me whether the roller assemblies in these doors are serviceable/replaceable?

Thank you so much for reading and responding to my original post, and for any additional help you can provide me.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Perhaps I can be of help! 

Looking at your patio door, I do believe the roller you need would be the 81-004, but you would need to remove it from the door and compare the dimensions to confirm this is what you have. You will need to remove the bottom rail off the patio door to access the roller. I think it's best to set the patio door on a pair of Saw horses or a work table. First, you will need to remove the corner screw that holds the door together at each end of the rail. Then using a hammer and a block of wood, carefully tap the bottom rail off the glass of the door. Now with the rail removed, look inside the top of the rail and you will see a flat head screw which secures the roller housing to the rail. Take a look at the 81-023 roller on our website and look at the diagram listed in the description. It shows how that flat head screw secures the roller to the rail. Remove that screw and the roller should slide out from the end of the bottom rail. You might need to give the roller a little help to removing it if it won't slide out easily. When you have the outer housing removed from the door, compare a complete roller assembly to the rollers on this page to see if one of them matches up for what you're looking for.

How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.