Russell and Erwin Mfg Co Mortise Lockset

A handy person from Norwalk says:
Looking to try and find the steel spring for the lock in this lockset. Trying to repair another one. Stamped on the side plate is Patent Jan 22 89 with another date below of June 11, 89.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Resized_20200514_113611.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You very likely won't be able to find this spring anywhere. No manufacturer I know of provides the internal components of a mortise lock by itself. You will need an all new mortise.

We can help, but we need you to put it back together and show me a clear picture of the complete mechanism. That will allow us to determine if this is something we can supply.

If you don't want to do any of that, then your only other option is to try to fashion the spring yourself.

A handy person from Massachusetts says:
Hi Tom
I have the same situation - same stamp on the side
I'd like to just replace the cassette
Do you have a part number I can order
Photo attached
Txs Bob
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2768.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2763.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for these photos, they're a huge help! The mortise you're showing here is very similar in design to that which comes with our 42-009 lockset. The mortise is unfortunately not sold separately, though, so we can only supply you the complete lockset as you see it. For now, look over the dimensions below to verify that our product matches in size as well as design.

Alternate view of 42-009
Alternate view of 42-009

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.