S380 or S385 ?

A handy person from Tampa says:
Hello, could you please identify what is the model number of my channel balances? It looks like S380 or S385. They are rusty and when i try to open or close the window , they are not keeping window straight line. And most of the time it is detaching from the window frame. Do you think changing that balances are solve my problem? Window is little big and heavy I don't know if it is the problem. Please help. Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0322.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0325.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0324.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0323.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0326.jpeg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! It does look like you have either the Series 380 with a 1" shoe or the Series 385 with a 1-3/32" shoe. To determine which series is needed for your window, look over the dimensions from the diagram below to confirm the depth of your bottom shoe. Let me know if it does not match either measurement.

You'll also need to confirm the length of the metal channel; only the metal.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

Once you've confirmed the series and the length, you'll need to determine the stamp option needed for your balance. Start by checking the metal channel for any stamps or markings. If there are none, you'll need to obtain the exact weight of the sash. There is a chart below the product description for each individual length that lists the weight ranges each stamp can support.

The issue you are describing with the window, is likely due to a missing or broken top sash guide. These are what guide the balance in the window channel and prevent them from shooting out of the window. Take a look at the video below for an idea on how to replace them. I'll need to see a photo of them to identify the correct replacement for them.

A handy person from Tampa says:
I measured the end shoes of the balance it is little bit worn but I am sure bigger than 1 inch . So I think it is 15-004 . Length of the balance is exactly 30" . I found a stamp possibly shows balance weight option which is 2950. Sum of all I think , I need 30" S385 with 15-004 shoes and 2950 spring. I uploaded stamp and frame plastic parts pictures. Please check thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0327.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Yes, you are correct. The 2950 would be the correct stamp for your balances.

In regard to the plastic part you are referring to, this is the top sash guide. As explained, These are what guide the balance in the window channel and prevent them from shooting out of the window. 

Yours reminds me of the 18-178 Channel Balance Guide Pair. Take a look over the dimensions and compare them to your existing guides to determine if this is the right fit.

Alternate view of 18-178
Alternate view of 18-178

Alternate image for 18-178
Alternate image for 18-178

How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.