S500 37" red tip issue

A quick learner from Fort Worth, TX says:
We recently ordered the aforementioned set of spiral springs from you and we are having trouble. The sash are shooting to the moon. No matter the turns I use they want to go up. I am even trying the minimum amount of turns to keep them in the clips and they still do it. Also, it feels like the tension gets stronger as I go down which isn't normal. The odd thing is 8 of them are doing it but the set on another window we did a couple of weeks ago are working fine. We've ordered hundreds of these from you and have never had this problem. The only thing that sticks out is these sash are kind of small and weigh about 11 lbs. I wasn't aware spiral springs could be "defective" in this way. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble. To be perfectly honest with you, I've never heard of this issue before, either. Now, the Red Tip option for the S500-37 is a little stronger than the weight of your sash, but not by so much that they should be shooting up as aggressively as you describe.

Can you verify that the other windows you mentioned are the same size and weight? Assuming they're all identical applications without any issues, then that's definitely going to be a head scratcher.

In the meantime, I'll consult with a few of my colleagues and see if anyone has encountered this issue before. We'll try to get back to you ASAP.

The other openings we installed them on are 34s. We've never used 37s before, they are definitely the longest. That is the only difference I can think of. I was hoping there was some sort of simple mistake we are making. For example, for the lowers, we screw the body of the spring at the top, then let the spiral drop. We raise the lower sash all the way up, push the spiral up to where it is about an inch below the clip, then add turns until it works right. For these, I literally do the minimum for them to even stay in the clip which is like 2 turns, then when I try to shut the sash, it wants to go back up.
Sorry to bother, but I had an idea. Since these sash are so tall and skinny that throws off the ratios for your springs maybe? I see that you only have 2 options for tip colors at 37" but you have 3 options for 32". Your red tip for 32" is 7-32 lbs. Your red tip for 37" is 12-32 lbs. I took a look at the 3/8 version which is the S300 and for 37" (your longest throw) you have a white tip option that gives us 7-22 lbs. Maybe we need to try that? Let me know what you think. Thank you.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I admit, this one has me at a loss, as well. I've never heard of this issue before. It'd be one thing if your sashes were falling down, but falling up usually always indicate a spring that's too strong for the given application. But the color tip you chose should have worked adequately.

It's very odd. You may be right in your assessment: the shape of the window itself may be interfering with the operation of the balance. If that is the case though then it's the first time I've seen something like that happen.

We do sell the White Tip S400-37, which carries 7 through 22 pounds. This might be an easier balance to deal with than the Series 300, which has a special shoe at the bottom. This is quantifiably weaker than the S500-37 but that may very well be exactly what you need. I just can't say it for sure.

Sorry that I couldn't offer you more confident advice. This is an odd problem.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.