SWISCO Milgard

A home owner from Simi Valley says:

Here are some measurements that I took. Hopefully these make some sense as I have not worked with windows before. I wish I had the old balances so that I could measure them but the previous owner apparently threw them out :-(

Length of channel in the moving part of the window: 16 3/4"

Depth of channel in the moving part of the window: 5/8"

Bottom of plastic piece in channel (from top): 1.5"

I have Milgard H-C40-56x91 (series 5229/5231/5270) which is missing both channel balances. Any hints how to identify exactly what kind of balance is needed? And if you happen to have those? Static window frame length: 34.5"

Static window frame depth: 1.5"

Position of 1st clip (from top of window to top of clip): 6.5"

Lower clip hole (from top of window): 17.5"

I am also attaching photos of the window.

Thanks,

Jussi

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named fig1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named fig2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named fig5.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named fig3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named fig4.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hi Jussi,

Thanks for writing in! I'm sorry to hear that the previous home owner threw the balances away. Would there happen to be any similar windows in the home that might still have balances in them? If so, that would make the identification process much easier. 

If not, then we'll need to start with obtaining the measurement for the height of the visible glass pane in the sash, only the glass you can see.

I will also need to know the exact weight of the sash. This is important since the balances are made specifically for the function of supporting the sash weight.

Once we have this information we may be able to provide you with a recommendation for the balances you need.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions you might have.

A home owner from Simi Valley says:
Unfortunately that is the only one.

I measured the glass portion height of the sash (13.5"). The weight of the sash is 8 lbs.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for confirming this information. From your dimensions, I believe you need our Series 385-15 for your Milgard window. For the spring weight of 8 lbs. the stamp you need will be the 1420 stamp option.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.