Sash Weight

A quick learner from Boca Raton FL says:
Good afternoon,

I'm pretty sure I need the 27" Series 380 Channel Balance. Mine are very similar to the person in one of your discussion forums: https://www.swisco.com/discussions/2690-31-marked-on-the-balance--77-155704

Just like their channel balance, the depth of my bottom shoe is 7/8". The stamp on mine is identical (2690) but mine has a 30 whereas they have a 31.

Does the 30 or 31 represent the sash weight? I have some fairly large windows. How should I decide what Sash weight to pick?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image0.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image4.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image7.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image8.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We can supply your balances with the 19-005 top and 7/8" deep 15-029 bottom fittings but it will need to be a custom order. Before we get started, I would recommend double-checking your length since balances stamped with 2690 should have a 27" long metal channel, not including the end fittings. 

The 2690 stamp is also from an outdated weight system, so we will need to know the exact weight of your window sash to confirm the corresponding strength option for your replacements. Lastly, we'll need to know the number of balances that you need with the minimum being two. Thank you! 

Good morning,

Regarding the window sash, I have measured the long metal channel (excluding the end fittings), and it is precisely 27 inches in length.

My primary query pertains to determining the exact weight of the window sash. Specifically, I have several windows experiencing issues, and their dimensions are as follows:

Width (L X W) of the windows with broken channel balances: 52 inches by 61.5 inches in height.
Conversely, the windows with a width of 36 inches remain problem-free.

Additionally, I noticed the number 30 following the "2690." Could you clarify its significance? I came across information suggesting that this number represents the sash weight, but I seek your expert advice on this matter.

Thank you for your prompt attention, and I look forward to your guidance.
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks for getting back to us. Unfortunately, knowing the size of the window does not tell us the weight of the sash. The 30 in the stamp code may or may not be related to the sash weight. Balance manufacturers often include additional numbers and letters after the strength code for various purposes. The only way to confirm the correct strength for your replacement balances would be to weigh the sash itself. 

Could you please clarify the process for weighing the Sash? Specifically, I'd like to confirm whether the Sash refers to the metal frame without the glass.

Alternatively, I'm considering ordering two of the 2650s, which can handle weights between 26 and 30 lbs. I plan to test them out initially and potentially order more later. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this approach.
Profile picture of Casey

The sash refers to the part of the window that you raise and lower, including the frame and glass. 

As for using 2650 strength options, we'd be happy to supply an order link and price quote for those balances with the 15-029 shoe attached but keep in mind that custom balances can not be returned for a refund if the sash weight differs, which is why we strongly recommend confirming the exact sash weight before ordering. Just let us know how you'd like to proceed. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.