Searching for 8672

A quick learner says:
I have Peachtree double hung non-tilting windows. My balances have number on them and I have weighed the upper and lowers.

The upper balance has 3654 LJ stamped on it, the window weighs 16.8 lbs

Tha lower balance has 8672 RJ stamped on it, the window weighs 22.8 lbs

Can you tell me what balance interchanges with these and how much they are?

Thanks,
Brian
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm sorry to say that the stamps alone don't tell me anything about the window. In order to help, I need clear photos of the balances in question; specifically of the top and bottom ends, as well as any fittings, clips, or shoes that are relevant. 

Please note that it's important that we see this damage in undamaged condition and removed from the window. If any details are broken off, missing, or otherwise obscured, we will likely not be able to help.

A quick learner from Columbus, Ohio says:
Here are photos of the balances. The uppers and lowers are exactly the same except for the length. The shorter upper one is complete with pulleys and strings.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9AB30155-1696-48CB-8BAE-A9D54134AFE3.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C340A427-F78D-4CDA-B687-6924BEC4951C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BF6890B8-488D-4A61-A22D-94EBB224DEA3.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 028415DD-AC86-490D-AC44-3EA8B21D3760.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DDD4DB9B-86CB-47B0-B5BE-A9A6C9C97435.jpeg
More photos of the longer lower balance.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3F324EC8-DBE4-4EE2-BE2B-E1E442A619FC.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 894F4B5E-D54F-4C1B-9590-C4AC75F36C52.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DD4B256F-3F5E-4573-BF61-A55CF3D765D9.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! These look like a match for our Series 745; specifically, our S745-14 (14-1/4" long) and S745-32 (32-1/4" long).

The only thing throwing me off are your stamps. The way our balances are rated is a little different, but I'm wondering it that might just be because you have older versions. Either way, you gave sash weights so that clears it up regardless.

Based on those weight, I'd recommend the 13.25-5 for the S745-14 (13 through 17 pounds) and the 31.25-3 stamp for the S745-32 (17 through 23 pounds).

Please look these parts over and let me know if you had any questions.

Ok. Thank you for your help.

My sash weights seem to be on the high end of the range of rated weight for the balances. Do you think they will still operate properly?
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, I don't foresee that being an issue. Your weights may be on the high end of the given ratings, but they're still well within the bounds of their operational capacity. 

My main concern is the upper balances. Currently the balances are broken and the latch is holding the sash up but doesn't create a good seal at the top. I was wondering if going up one spring size would be better.
Profile picture of Tom

Not necessarily. The sash being droopy might have just been because the original spring had weakened over time. They only hold their tension for about a decade or so before they start falling under.

If you replace a balance with a spring that's too strong for the sash, you may run into adverse consequences there. In general the sash becomes much harder to operate since the balance is pulling on the window more than gravity. On the other hand, if this is for a top sash, then that may not be entirely unwanted.

It's ultimately up to you. My rule of thumb is to always trust in the weight of the sash and it hasn't failed me yet, but that's just my two cents.

Ok thanks so much for your help. I actually sent you the wrong photo of the upper sash balance. The number stamped on it is the number is 3654 LJ Caldwell

The upper sash weight is correct at 16.8 lbs

Can you give me the numbers for both the recommended spring rates and the next higher spring rates? I may go higher on the uppers if we are still on the upper end of the range for the new length of 23 1/4"

On further inspection the lower sash balance appears to be stamped 3672 (my eyesight isn't what it use to be:).

The weight for the lower sash is also correct at 22.8 lbs
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DCD0A642-C176-4EED-BB2A-0C8CEB376172.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3CE48CAB-CEF5-4B8F-9BBB-5B2903C7E7C0.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6E61E617-3DBD-499C-BE8F-BAA011B5F60F.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3634FA68-5E15-4980-8E02-D192509774DB.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, you can actually see the weight chart on each balance store page (S745-14 and S745-32). That should hopefully give you a better idea of what your options are and what you may want to take a risk on.

Don't worry about the stamps printed on your existing balances. I actually have no idea what they mean--our balances use a more modern calibration system. Right now I'm going exclusively off of the sash weights and I recommend that you do the same. It will make things a lot more clear cut.

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.