Searching for gienow pivot bar

A quick learner says:
Dear Swisco,

My wood double-paned Gienow windows are 16-18 years old. Two of the windows have broken parts that I have not been able to find and the folks who sell Gienow out of Canada are no help. Without this part replaced the windows will not stay opened.

I'm pretty sure I also need a fix on the springs, not sure if they are broken or just not attached. I have been afraid to take the windows out to get a closer look as trying to take the window out to replace the insulation on the bottom is how the part in the photo got broken in the first place.

I'm not sure really what the part is called but it attaches to the bottom of the tilt-out windows. Maybe it is called a "catch" or a "pivot bar," sorry I have been watching many YouTube vids to try to get the terminology right...

I hope you can help with what this part is called as well as pointing me in the right direction to find it.

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks so much...

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window part 1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window part 2.jpeg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! Yes, you are correct, the term for the part you have pictured here is the pivot bar. If you were having trouble with lifting the window and having them stay open prior to removing this part, it is likely that the balances do need to replaced.

We do not carry an exact match for the pivot bar you have but there are few different options that come to mind as possible replacements. However, to determine if I am able to narrow down the search I would like to see a photo of the balances removed from the window.

Would you be able to provide a photo of your balance?

A quick learner from Bozeman, MT says:
I don't know what a balance is but I will search it on YouTube, find out how to access it on my windows and hopefully get back to you with a photo. Thank you!

The balance is a system installed on the side of the window that helps to support the weight of the window. Since we do not carry an exact match for the pivot bar you have, it would be extremely difficult to decipher even the type of balance assembly that might be in the window.

This pivot bar is compatible with a few different types of pivot shoes that can be used with different balance types.

If you can send a photo of the hardware installed in the window channel, we may be able to provide you with instructions on how to remove them. Although, there are no guarantees. 

Here are more photos. Hopefully this is what you need. Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks so much for your help and encouragement.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg

Thanks for the photos. To start, you'll need to disconnect the balance from the shoe, which is the plastic piece with the metal cam inside. Be sure that the cord is fully retracted below doing so.

Once you've detached the balance from the bottom shoe, the metal channel balance should just come right out of the window. 

After you've removed the balances, you'll also need to remove the pivot shoe. I would recommend taking a look at the video below for an idea on how to remove these shoes from the window.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

OK, thanks Jasmine.

I will watch the videos.

You said earlier that you thought you maybe had a part for the broken pivot bars that could be substituted; do you think you can help with that piece? Another one ended up breaking when I took one of the functioning windows out to get these photos of the pivot shoe and the metal channel. So now I need to replace 3 pivot shoes. I think the material the pivot bars are made out of is very weak or brittle.

Thankfully I got the window back in before it started to rain, haha.

Also, my windows are wood and metal. I don't think I need to remove the

Thanks again

Yes, take a look at part 26-402. It is not an exact match however, so long as you are able to use at least one installation hole, this will work fine as a replacement.

Alternate image for 26-402
Alternate image for 26-402

Jasmine,

I measured my piece and I think the part you are showing me is a ringer. I ordered several. Thank you very much. I am actually thrilled to have had your help to find this part at long last, I have been trying for over a year (from time-to-time). I had almost given up.

Sincerely,

Bethanie

I'm glad we could help you find a suitable replacement. Please feel free to reach out with any future hardware repair questions.

Have a great day!

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.