Series 900 spiral balance parts

A contractor from Florida, USA says:
Hi there, the springs here are 3/8". Laying them side by side you can see a difference in length; the short ones are 28 1/4" and the long ones are 25 1/2". I believe if I buy replacement 28" springs I can adjust where the springs are mounted by 1/2 or 1/4" as necessary to compensate for the difference in length, does that sound plausible? Also a photo of the pivot shoe, it is 3/8" thick, I believe the correct part number is 15-045, is that right?

I am the home owner but have plenty of rehab experience.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-6333.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-6334.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-6335.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-6336.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! We can definitely help with these parts. Starting with the balance, I recommend triple checking that diameter; your balances current have black tips, which were never used on the Series 900. It's also possible that they're discolored by age, of course, so I could be wrong. Make sure when measuring diameter that you only measure the outer tube, not the spring itself. Your outer tube appears to be missing.

As for length, it should be fine to round up in this case. In a worst case scenario you can always adjust the installation screw placement to make up the difference.

Finally, as for the pivot shoe, I think our 15-212 might be closer. This is 3/8" thick, 15/16" wide, and has a cam opening size of 5/16" x 3/16". Make sure to check that cam opening to verify.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.