Sliding Window Balancers

A contractor from Glendale, CA says:
I am looking for 2 Balancers along with the plastic brackets on the window frame for the pictures attached. I don't know what model it is.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P_20231218_185117.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P_20231218_185124.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P_20231218_185134.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P_20231218_190329.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P_20231218_185145.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in! Your balances look like they could be either the Series 380 with a 1" shoe depth or the Series 385 with a 1-3/32" shoe depth. To confirm which series you need, carefully review and compare the dimensions below. 

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

Once you've confirmed the series, you'll need to confirm the length of the metal channel and select it from the list of balances, for the series you need. Then you'll be able to use the stamp from the channel to confirm the stamp option.

I have already measured the length of the metal channel, it's shown in the picture attached. It's about 28 inches. I will have to accurately measure the shoe depth and will get back to you, or try to directly find the correct part based on your directions (if possible).

Thank you for the detailed information.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P_20231218_185545.jpg

I'm happy to help! Be sure that you are only measuring the length of the channel, not including the top and bottom attachment. I've included a video below as a reference to use when confirming the information.

BTW, I will be taking apart the window again tomorrow to get exact measurements and try to order parts. I also want to order the plastic parts (I forgot the term) that go ON the window itself. Once I find the correct balancer, can I also find those plastic parts, or maybe the balancers come with them?
Hi Jasmine,

I have the measurement for the balancer shoe and it's 1". This is the balancer that I need according to your suggestion:

28" Series 380 Channel Balance
Product Code: S380-28

I have couple of questions:

1. I want to change the plastic inserts on the window itself. I know there is the sash guide (as far as I remember at the top part of the window), in this case Product Code 18-018. Are there any other components (plastic or otherwise) on the window itself that I need to change? I ask this because besides the balancers themselves, I know the sash guide wasn't working properly (and possibly other parts??)

2. As far as identifying the sash weight by code, my balancer channel says something like "27 4 BSI OC" (please see attached photo). What does this code mean, is the "27 4" code for "2740"?

Please clarify. Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named magnifier_20231218_185253.jpg

I'm afraid I don't know what else you need to replace on the window since we aren't physically there. What we recommend doing is to inspect the parts in the window for any obvious signs of damage and then replace what is broken. 

Since your balance is stamped 27 4, you'd want to select the 2740 option as you mentioned. 

This is a customer window and I can't verify and neither can they because they won't be home for a month, but as far as I know, there's nothing else that needs to be replaced other than the sash guide which definitely should be replaced in this case. I was just asking a general question, what other parts are usually replaced.

In addition to channel balances, we've had customers replace top sash guides and take-out clips if they're damaged or are in poor condition. There can be various styles which is why it's important we see photos of the original hardware. I hope this helps.

I am replacing the 2 balancers and 2 top sash guides. The 2 take-out clips are working fine, no need to replace. I only have a number of pictures of the balancer, and 1 picture of the entire window from outside. I don't have any pictures of the sides of the window where the sash guides are. Although I've seen and worked on the window, I don't remember other hardware other than the sash guides on the window itself (photo attached).
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named P_20231218_190329.jpg

There are quite a few different top sash guides compatible with the S380-28 Channel Balance. Without seeing photos of the front and side profile views of your customer's guide, I wouldn't be able to identify the exact replacement you need. Unfortunately, the balance nor the photo of the window can help to determine the right replacement.

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.