The body is plastic and the roller is steel
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Patio door 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Patio door 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Patio door 4.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Patio door 6.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Patio door 8.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. We've come across this roller a few times before. We have no exact replacement for it and I suspect it's no longer available anywhere. We had a customer with these same rollers use the 81-279 as a substitute, but it took some adaptation to pull it off. The 81-279 is secured at the top of the roller housing using a screw like the 33-103. Because your old roller is designed differently, what this customer had to do was cut a small piece of metal out of an angle bracket and he screwed it to the front of the roller. This gave the roller a small lip to hold it in place, just like the old roller. Alternatively, you could remove the bottom rail completely from the door so that you could drill and counter sink the head of the screw so that it would not interfere with the glass. 

Finally, I've listed a few other possible substitutes on this page, but I have doubts any of them will fit your door. Let me know what you think, or if you have any other questions. 

A handy person from Michigan says:
Bob,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. The assembly actually comes apart really easily and is not broken. If I can replace just the wheel, all would be good. Any chance you could source it?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named patio door 9.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Patio door 10.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Patio door 11.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Sure, if the housing is still in good condition then that would be a great solution.

It looks like your wheel is 1-1/4" in diameter, which aligns with our 81-228. This is 1-1/4" dia x 5/16" thick. It's also fully compatible with each axle that comes in our 81-310 axle kit. Now, whether those axles will also be compatible with your old housing, I cannot say. But I do think this is a good course of action to consider.

Side view of 81-228
Side view of 81-228

Profile view of 81-228
Profile view of 81-228

A handy person from Michigan says:
It seems like the axle is more like 3/8. Is there any 1 1/4 wheel with a 3/8 center opening?
Profile picture of Bob

I'm afraid that's not a size we carry. We only sell three 1-1/4" diameter wheels (the other two being the 81-224 and 81-241), and they each have only a 1/4" inner diameter.

I am sorry for the inconvenience. 

How to identify patio door rollers
How to identify patio door rollers
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
How to Replace a Patio Sliding Glass Door Roller [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
Identifying the right replacement roller for your sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.