Spiral Balance on Tilt Window

A home owner from Alabama says:
I am trying to find the correct replacement spiral balance for my tilt windows. I understand I need to measure the length of just the tube. My issue is my tube doesn't look like what I am seeing as available. It looks like a steel spring that was once coated in white vinyl. Also, the length is coming out to 27 & 11/16 inches. None of the guides I find online show lengths in between.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4959.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4960.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

These balances normally have a plastic tube cover that you would measure but yours has most likely broken over time. The overall length would be from the end of the balance that attaches to the window jamb with a screw to the colored tip of your balance, which would measure 28" based on your photos. 

You would need to find a balance with an intact plastic cover to choose between the 3/8" diameter S900-28 and 5/8" diameter S600-28. I suspect that you may need the S900-28 based on the yellow tip but the diameter would be the determining factor. Thank you! 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.