Spiral Balance and Pivot-Lock Shoe

A home owner from MI says:
I am attempting to replace the spiral balances and pivot shoes in my circa 1990 vinyl windows.

I bought the wrong length spiral balances under the assumption that the upper and lower sashes use the same model. What length is the spiral balance in the photo? I am measuring from the very end of the top.

I cannot seem to find a pivot shoe with comparable dimensions anywhere. I have tried a 5/8" x 1-1/4" shoe, similar to 15-154, but it is a very loose fit. In addition to the images of the pivot shoe, I included a sketch of it with the caliper measured dimensions. Any help will be appreciated.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230515_113850868.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230515_113919537.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230515_114002434.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230515_113340017.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230515_113600379.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Unfortunately, the company that made your balance system went out of business in the late 90s. With that being said, our 5/8" diameter S600-21 blue tip spiral balance should work as a replacement. 

As for the pivot shoe, I would like to see the original installed in the window track and write-out the exact depth of the track to confirm if we could supply a possible replacement. Thank you. 

See the attached images with the pivot shoe as installed in the window track, full-width cut out I used to remove one of them (later I figured out I only needed to cut out the back half). I also included caliper measurements to the best of my ability on the drawing.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230517_235551189.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230518_001646147.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230517_235400741.jpg
Profile picture of Paul

Thanks for getting back to us. It looks like the manufacturer added wings to a 1-1/4" wide pivot shoe to accommodate your 1-1/2" wide channel. We are looking into this for you but it may take some time. Please give us a few days to do some digging and we will get back to you as soon as more information is available.

Profile picture of Paul

Thank you for your patience. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate an exact replacement for your original pivot shoe. You may be able to use something like our 15-047 pivot shoe that measures 5/8" thick. It is only 1-1/4" wide but we added Scotch 1/2" stick-on buttons for cabinets to the sides to make up the difference. We do not have a window on hand that uses this balance assembly to test the shoe but you are welcome to give it a try. 

It's too bad there are no direct replacements for the pivot shoe. I'll give the 15-047 a try with the stick-on buttons.

Thanks for the help.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.