Spiral balance lube

A quick learner from Herndon, Virginia says:
I have 30 yr old metal windows with spiral balances. A couple of them will open ok, but with such a loud sort of "sproing" spring sound that I don't open/close during the night for fear of waking neighbors. What do you recommend to lubricate the spiral springs in place? Is 3in1 ok? Silcone spray? Teflon?
Short of replacing the balances, is this worth a try?
-Greg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We generally recommend white lithium grease or Three-In-One oil to lubricate a spiral balance. If you want to lubricate the track the window sash rides in, use silicone spray. If you lubricate the balances and are still having trouble, it is likely time to replace them. If so, feel free to get back to us with photos of your balance and we will be happy to recommend a replacement. Thanks for posting. 

I ordered 3 sets of balances(but not the pivot shoes until I measure) and the tool for now since that's probably the best overall solution.
As I think about the lube issue, I think lubing the spiral in place is not the solution.
Since the spiral is fixed, there must be piece in the tube that rotates as it slides up/down along the spiral. That piece must be attached to a coiled spring inside the balance which tightens or loosens the coiled spring as the window moves down/up. Using the tool to rotate/adjust the spiral balance probably tightens/loosens the coiled spring in the tube to adjust the nominal tension of the coiled spring.

Now - I think the loud noise of the spring in moving the window is probably due to the friction of the coiled spring with the inner surface of the tube. I doubt much lube applied on the spiral will make it to the coiled spring/tube interface without removing the balance and liberally applying lubricant to the inverted balance so the lube flows into the balance. I will probably try that with 3in1, since it will flow; and let you know if that succeeds.
Profile picture of Casey

It sounds like you have a game plan moving forward and a working knowledge of the parts you're dealing with. Just let us know if you have any questions along the way. 

1) One thing I'm not sure about from the written instructions: beyond tilting the window to expose the pivot lock shoe, it does not say to remove the window to gain access to the shoe; yet it seems to me that the only way to adjust with the charging tool is to remove the window. Removing, adjusting, reinstalling the window, then repeating for further adjustment is rather involved since my windows are so heavy. The window does have to be removed, right?

2) If I replace a balance, I need to move the shoe close to the balance so upon removing the top screw, there is little tension in the spring or else use the tool to loosen the tension all the way right?
-Greg
Profile picture of Casey

Yes, you are correct that the sash will need to be removed in order to access the pivot shoe and spiral end. Once the sash is raised a few inches above the sill and tilted in, you'll need to carefully twist the sash so that the pivot bars disengage from the shoes one at a time. Keep in mind that this can be a bit of a tricky process depending on the type of shoe cam that you have and may require some elbow grease. 

Also, the balances do not come charged but you can use our charging tool to grasp the end of the original balance that still has some tension to it, remove it from the shoe, and carefully raise it to the base of the balance tube. Just make sure to keep a firm grip on it to make sure that it does snap up into the tube. 

I'm taking baby steps on one window, before I move to all the other problem windows.
I want to order a few pivot shoes to have on hand.
Picture attached.

Length, top to bottom: !-7/8"
Width, front to back: 31/32"
Thicknes: 7/16" at top, slight bump out at top.
The rotating locking opening (that accepts the sash pivot bars) is 1/4"x3/16"
Suggested replacement part?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231004_203805.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks for getting back to us. Your pivot shoe resembles the 15-045 but please note that it measures 1" wide by 3/8" thick as shown below. Take a look to see if this could work for your application. 

Dimensions for 15-045
Dimensions for 15-045

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.