Spiral balance replacement

A contractor from Riverside CA says:

Window is a non tilt that measures 22 3/8" high x 41 7/8" wide and weighs approx 12lbs. The spiral tube measures at 21" and is 9/16"(5/8). Has a foot bracket like your #32. Would this require the red or the blue spiral balance for proper lift!

Thank you

Dan  

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9987.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9986.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9985.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9984.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Dan, thanks for posting. This looks like an S500-21 Spiral Balance. For a sash that weighs 12 pounds, you can use the Red Tip, for a sash in the weight range of 6 through 19 pounds. I agree, the bracket looks like our 17-012; just compare the dimensions to be safe. Let me know if you have any questions!

Dimensions for 17-012
Dimensions for 17-012
Additional dimensions for 17-012
Additional dimensions for 17-012

Hello Bob, thank you for the prompt reply. So using the monthly charging tool, is there a recommended amount of turns that should equally be applied, then once I have it turned is there a trick to removing the tool and attaching the foot ( it won't spin back ?), sorry for questions, we deal mostly with old double hung rope sash windows, which is in rest of house, this one has the spirals so want to be correct with it!

Thanks

Profile picture of Bob

Sure! These are both good questions.

To start, 2-3 turns should be enough for you to charge your balance sufficiently. If you find that the sash is still a little heavy to open, give it another turn or two, but I wouldn't give it any more than that. Too many turns risk snapping the spiral rod clean off the spring, which is irreparable damage. If you find yourself having to charge a spiral balance more than 5 times, you should double check your sash weight to make sure that the balance is calibrated properly.

As for removing it, there's not much of a trick. These just hook straight on to the hole at the end of the rod. Depending on what kind of clearance you're working with this could be very simple or a little tricky; if you're in the latter situation then it's just a matter of finding a better angle. Just make sure someone is holding the sash up for you when you do this, since the last thing you want is for it to accidentally fall on your head. I had to learn that the hard way!

Thank you Bob for all the info, I just now ordered the parts from your company!
Have a great weekend
Dan
Carriage House Renovations
Profile picture of Bob

Great, thank you! We really appreciate the business. Please feel free to reach out if you had any other questions and we will be happy to assist you.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.