Spiral balance shoe for non tilt single window

A quick learner from South fl palm beach says:
We removed spiral balance (23 inch red tip) and could only find remnants of the shoes. We've purchased the balances from swisco with 15-012 shoes. Then we looked harder at the window frame and found what I think is part of a shoe attached to it. The photos are of the jam remnants and the window frame with remnants. There was no upper guide. The screw that goes into the remnant also goes in to the window frame. The dome shaped protrusion on the window frame no doubt aligns a shoe on the window frame.

Can you help or give me some guidance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Jam Shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Sash 2
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Sash
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Channel
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Shoe
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello, thank you for posting,

You have very old Air Control windows. If you want to keep the windows, instead of replacement windows, you will first need to remove the ball catch at the bottom of the sash, by slipping a thin screw driver or chisel under the lip and pop them out. Now install the 17-014/17-015 bottom sash clips. You might be able to use the hole above the ball catch or drill a new hole. Your top sash guide is no longer available, you might be able to use the 18-034 top guide with some modifications. With the sash out, install the two S300-23 balances that come with the 15-011 shoe in the track.

Now with help, install the sash back into the track in the top open position, with someone holding the sash up, bring the spiral with nylon shoe up to the sash and before locking the shoe in the bottom sash clip, give the spiral three or four turns. You can use the 75-005 tool or your fingers. You will feel the tension building in the balance tube, push the shoe up into the sash clip till it locks on. Do the same on the other side.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. 

A quick learner from South fl palm beach says:
Paul - thx you for your help - it's so valuable.

I had one follow up

I've ordered the suggested parts and I understand the information.

When I attach the top of the spiral balance should it be fastened with a tapered screw or should I fabricate some sort of a shouldered bolt. I notice when I pin them with a tapered screw the balance tends to cantilever toward the window - it makes me think less side load if on a machine type screw not torqued down

Thx Paul again
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

If the taper screw is not holding the balance tube straight, then try the machine screw. Let me know how you make out!  

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.