Spiral tube window

A quick learner from Philadelphia says:

Hi, I am trying to replace my old spiral tube window balances. This house was built in the 50s and it seems like these are still the original windows. Surprisingly enough the windows are in good shape just need some updating. There are no markings on the units. They are 23"long, 3/8 wide. The sash is no more than 5 or six pounds. Any help with a replacment is appreciated. Thank you.

Ben 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named corroded spiral balance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named corroded spiral end
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named spiral balance bracket
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us, Ben. It looks like you have an old-style balance that I don't believe is made anymore. However, you could consider the Series 400. This is compatible with a handful of brackets but we commonly recommend the 17-031. See the options under the related items section of the balance product page to determine which options would fit best on your sash.

We also recommend weighing the window sash on a scale to determine the proper tip color option. We don't suggest guessing or estimates when it comes to the sash weight. 

Let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks so much for the info. I weighed the sash and it is 12 lbs
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

In that case, you'd want the red tip color option. A pair of balances with this option will support a sash weighing 7 to 21 pounds. 

Hi,

I purchased all the items that you suggested. I have installed everything, but when I put tension on the spring I can't get the brass t at the end of the rod to seat into the bracket. I am using one of the spiral window balance tools. It seems that once there is tension and it is placed into the bracket the spring wants to turn the opposite direction of the "teeth" in the bracket. It then has nothing to push against when the window is open and closed. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Ben
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

When you say your balance is 3/8" in diameter, are you referring to the tube or the spring? I believe the outer tube may measure 5/8". You want to measure the outer tube, not the spring, to determine the diameter. You could always double check to be sure.

Below are generic directions for the Series 500 which uses the 17-012 bracket, but you can try it on your Series 400 balances and 17-031 bracket to see if they work.

First, drop the balance behind the sash and screw the balance tube at the top of the track. Do the same on the other side. Raise the sash and have someone hold it up, while you place the 17-012 bracket under the sash and have it corral the spiral. Screw the bracket to the sash. Continue holding up the sash while you bring the spiral up to the bracket. Now turn the spiral clockwise with the 75-005 tool about four turns. Then lock the bow tie at the end of the spiral to the 17-012 bracket. Do the same on the other side and try the sash. If it creeps down, give the spiral another turn.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.