Stainless steel spiral balance

A handy person from Weston, MO says:

Swisco

-

These double hung, tilt in white windows (5 per unit x 20 units) have a Stainless Steel spiral (3/8") balance (missing the plastic straw/tube like spiral cover).

The length from end to inside the yellow end measures 30.5" length.

Will we need the 31" or 30" length.

thx

Doug 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4161.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4162.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4163.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Doug. This looks like a balance for a tilt window, so you only have two choices: either the 3/8" diameter Series 900 or 9/16" Series 600. You mentioned above that your balance is 3/8", but I wanted to make sure that this is based on the outer tube. The balance in your photo is missing that tube, so if you measured its diameter as-is then it would be inaccurate. Just something to keep in mind.

As for length, we usually round up for these old lengths. 31" should suffice.

Tom -

Double hung, bottom window tilt in, Gerkin Windows do not still have balances to replace this problem.

The outer plastic tube over the metal has fell apart and gone away. The 3/8" measurement is OD of the metal only.

I may need to go to another window that still has the plastic tube in place and measure. I will need both ends parts also. Length 31".

thx

Doug 

PS Can we order direct with a Credit Card?

Profile picture of Tom

If the interior metal spring is 3/8" in diameter, then logically I think the outer tube would be 9/16". If you do have an undamaged balance on the premises then I think it's definitely a good idea to check that anyway, just in case.

You can use a credit card to place your order, yes. In fact we only accept either that or PayPal. When youre' ready to go, you can place your order on our site at your convenience.

Tom -
The 31" Series 600 (9/16") does not show a yellow tip (Black, Blue or Red). The old balance has a yellow tip.
Is there a yellow available or ?
thx
Doug
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Doug. I'm sorry for overlooking that part of your post. The Series 600 was never made with a yellow tip. Looking at your photo, that actually looks like it's white to me and just became discolored over the years. The yellow tip is actually much brighter and lemony. 

To make things even more confusing, the white tip actually isn't made anymore for balances in this size. Odds are you need the red tip color option, which is the modern equivalent. I advise that you weigh your sash on a scale and refer to the chart on the S600-31 store page to confirm.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.