Storm Window Slide Bolts

A contractor from Dauphin Island, Alabama says:

Hello, thanks for help identifying these slide bolts. They appear to be nylon or some similar plastic that has become brittle with age. They are used on the lower sash of a double hung storm window & screen assembly. (the upper sash has similar bolts but without the "lifting tab" so that they can bypass in operation). I estimate that they are about 30 years old but that's just a guess. Not shown is a separate compression spring with small plastic end that engages in a rectangular hole in the window frame. Also, it looks like left and right use the same latch. Thanks again for being my go-to source for this kind of stuff! Rich, Dauphin Island Home Resources.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Storm Window Slide Bolt 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Storm Window Slide Bolt 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Storm Window Slide Bolt 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Storm Window Slide Bolt 4.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not carry a replacement for the storm window latches shown in your photos, many of which have been discontinued over time. I'm sorry that we won't be able to assist with this repair but please let us know if you have any other hardware questions. Thanks for posting.

OK thanks. I have a "Plan B". It seems that the top (upper) storm window has the same frame and track, but the slide bolts are different only in that they do not have the lifting "tab" because they have to bypass the lower sash. I'm sure they will work in the lower location - they just won't be as user-friendly. Please take a look at the photos of the upper slide bolts and let me know if you have a suggestion. Note also that the actual "bolt" portion that engages the frame is round as shown in the end view. Thanks Again! Rich, Dauphin Island Home Resources.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named upper bolt end view.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named upper bolt front view.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named upper bolt top view.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Unforutnately, your original slide latches are no longer available and we could not locate a replacement through any of our suppliers. Would it be possible to "fix" the top sash using some type of clip and screw to secure the top sash? If so, you could use the latches for the bottom sash. Also, check with a local glass shop or hardware store to see if they have any backstock of these latches in their inventory.

It's on to "Plan C" Thanks for the idea! You guys are the best!
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

We're happy to help! Just let us know if you need anything else. 

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.