These are vintage 1988 when house was built

A quick learner from Denver says:

Hi guys, wondering if you can help. Many of our window springs/strings are broken and windows won't stay up. House was built in 1988. Also, I can't figure out how to get the channel out of the plastic side piece, doesn't look anything like the ones in your videos. I sent you 1 example, says 24HD-J. Is it possible to repair (maybe adding new strings?) or what do you recommend? I looked at many of your videos-- really helpful if I had newer windows. I have some that are 26TGJ and also J-16HD. Thanks for any help you can offer. Bill, Denver

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1982.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1984.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1986.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1987.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1991.JPG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, Bill.

Thanks for reaching out to us. I believe you may have the Series 751 ribbed channel balance. This comes attached with the 15-014 shoe by default but I don't know if this is what your old balance uses. Once you can remove an undamaged version from the window, we'd like to see a photo of it to confirm. In the meantime, we've posted a video below that'll show you how to remove this type of balance from your jamb liners.

A quick learner from Denver says:
Thanks Emily! Appreciate the info. It looks to me like ours (2 photos attached) have the interior trim strips caulked and painted in (not with screw removal like in your video) and so I think I would need to cut that trim off to get the jam liners out. This is a major pain and not sure if we are up for all the demo work, then would need to replace the trim with new. Especially on photo 2003 (the middle partition between 2 windows) it looks to me like this piece would need to be totally removed. We have this situation 3 or 4 places. Let me know if you have any other thoughts/advice. Thanks, Bill
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1983.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1992.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2003.JPG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

If your jamb liner isn't held in with a screw-on retainer, then it's probably pressure fit. You will need to remove the sash and pull the jamb liner out by hand. From there, it should be relatively simple to unlock the shoe and remove the balance as per the instructions in the video above.

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.