Tilt latch, pivot shoe, and pivot bar

A handy person from Philadelphia says:
Howdy,

Engineer here (handy, but I've never worked on windows before). Moved into a place and some of the windows need a number of new parts- tilt latches totally lost to UV (cracked and fell in), some pivot shoes that are just totally seized (and broke one attempting to unseize it), and pivot bars that are rather bent. Looks like I can replace most of these- I'll have to make a cutout for the pivot shoe, but I think the spring is in good shape. For the non-broken but fairly stuck pivot shoes, is that something I can clean / add silicone lubricant to? Also, do pivot bars really only attach to the window with a single screw? That feels rather weak.

Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230917_200135923.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230917_184249351.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230917_192311788.MP.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230917_192435677.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230917_194355805.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Your coil balance resembles the S140-10 depending on how yours compares to the dimensions shown below. This assembly uses the 15-215 pivot shoe. 

Alternate image for S140-10
Alternate image for S140-10

As for your tilt latches, I would recommend starting by comparing the specifications of the 26-243 and 26-244 to yours. 

Alternate view of 26-243
Alternate view of 26-243

Profile view of 26-243
Profile view of 26-243

The pivot bar is a bit trickier, unforutnately, since your metal pivot bar stamped with 9838 has been discontinued and it is no longer available. The manufacturer suggests the 26-021 as a replacement but we have tested this part with the S140 coil balance and it was not compatible. 

We do offer pivot bars like the 26-398 and 26-405 that are often used with the S140 depending on how the hole placement compares to yours. With that being said, I can't guarantee that they would work with a housing like the 26-382S. I'm sorry that we can't provide a more straightforward solution but review the parts we've discussed and see what you think. Thanks for posting. 

Alternate view of 26-398
Alternate view of 26-398

Detail of 26-398
Detail of 26-398

Alternate image for 26-405
Alternate image for 26-405

Alternate view of 26-405
Alternate view of 26-405

Alternate view of 26-405
Alternate view of 26-405

A handy person from Philadelphia says:
I will double-check the tilt latch dimensions, but those look approximately correct.

Since my pivot bars are all so damaged, and the pivot shoes generally so sticky (will try lubricant), is it worthwhile to replace the pivot shoes on both balances (current balances use a double spring stamped with "10")? More labor, certainly, but then I can "update" the balances/shoes to match the new pivot bars. I can also see what hole makes sense on the bottom of the window- the pivot bar / holder mounts with only a single screw, and can certainly add another hole as-needed.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Yes, I would recommend replacing the coil balance shoes on both sides if they are sticking or not functioning properly. 

How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.