Traco Window Top Sash

A quick learner from Chicago says:
I have an aluminum Traco window. The bottom sash operates. The top sash appears to be somewhat fixed, but it does appear to have a release button on each side on the top the same as the bottom sash. It also appears to have pivot shoes of the same type the bottom sash has. The right hand shoe is broken, see photos, and there is no spiral balance attached. This top sash is a bit larger than the bottom sash, so I am assuming that the spiral balance, if it has one, is a bit heavier. The right side of top sash has dropped a bit in the frame, presumably because the spiral balance has broken from the shoe?

My question is whether you have had experience with these windows and whether you think the top sash also will operate and tilt inward, just as the bottom sash does? It seems to me that since I can see a broken shoe and there are buttons at the top that appear to operate a tilt latch that this top sash will move. I don't know any way to reach the spiral balance other than trying to tilt this window inward. Any thoughts after looking at these photos as to how to re-secure the top sash and replace the broken shoe and re attach the spiral balance, if one is there?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bottom sash release button.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Full Window.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Top sash release button.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Top sash track broken shoe.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out! Since the upper sash does have the sash release lever and the pivot shoe, it should be able to tilt in the same way as the lower sash. The trouble you are having with operating the sash is, almost certainly, attributed to the pivot shoe being damaged and likely because the balance is missing. 

To identify the right replacement balance for that sash, I'll need to know a few details about the existing balances in the window. If the balance from the left side of the window is still installed there, that will be a great help in identifying the correct balance needed to replace the missing one.

Take a look at the video below for the details we'll need to know to properly identify your balances. If both balances are missing from the upper sash, I'll need to know the diameter of the balance from your lower sash, as well as the measurement for the height of the visible glass pane in the upper sash, only the visible glass.

In the meantime, your pivot shoe looks like it could be our 15-118 9/16" Thick Pivot Shoe. To confirm that this is the right replacement, carefully look over the dimensions below and compare them to your existing pivot shoes.

Alternate image for 15-118
Alternate image for 15-118

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace an Internal Tilt Latch [1080p]
How to Replace an Internal Tilt Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Slide Latch Assembly Diagram
Slide Latch Assembly Diagram
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.