Two casement replacement operators needed.

A quick learner from Arnold, Md says:

Two windows that open from the left as you face them have roller wheels that come out of track. A) metal track at base of window is 11" and Truth & a house icon is on the track (see pic); B). Arm from wheel to crank is approximately 10"; C) top right piece of hardware towards window is 4 1/2".

Need an expert to help me order two replacement parts so, I can repair both windows with same opening & closing problem of roller wheel coming off the track. Please contact me by email to suggest a time to make the purchase order.

Thank you!! Joe  

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3867.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3866.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Joe. This might be the 39-031 and 39-032 Dual Arm Operators, but just make sure the dimensions below match up with what you have. Let me know if anything differs in any way. For new covers and handles that work with these operators, see the 39-114L and 39-107, sold separately. For the track, see our 39-505.

Dimensions for 39-031
Dimensions for 39-031

Let me know if you have further questions. 

Bob, just noticed your reply-I apologize for the tardy reply. I can not reply from work. With that said, as a first timer with this repair & website feedback opportunity- should I replace all parts?? The track wheel drops out below the track on both windows. Crank works on both of these 1997 windows. Thanks for attaching utube videos!! What is the basic/minimum parts needed to repair the track wheel jumping out of the track? Thinking of fixing this first since everything else seems fine.

Thanks again! Joe 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3866.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3867.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Joe. Bob's not here today but I'll do my best to assist you.

To start, the major problem seems like the rollers are jumping out of the track. This could be caused by a few different factors and it's not necessarily easy to narrow it down. It's either a problem with the operator or the hinges.

Your first step should be to disconnect the operator from the track and turn it while it's not attached to anything. How does it work? Is it hanging up or skipping at all? Is there any visible damage to the gears or wheel? Or is the operation smooth?

Next, with the operator still disconnected, open and close the window by hand a few times. Does it hang up or drag at all? Does it seem lopsided? Check the top and bottom hinges for any obvious signs of damage, too, or even dirt or debris that could be clogging the works.

There's no exact science for this, unfortunately, it's something you'll just have to garner based on how the window feels. Trying to break down the operation between the two potential culprits is your easiest bet to figure out what's to blame, but if you've never done this before or otherwise have no experience with this kind or project then it may not be immediately obvious to you. That said, there are only so many reasons why a casement window has this problem. 9 times out of 10 it's either the operator or the hinge, so focus your efforts on those components for now.

As part of my survey, cleaned the windows & windows without track move ok/ not out of alignment when I move them by hand. This is my first time and my rookie guess is that the arm/casement operator only needs to be replaced. These bathroom windows did not have lots of "hours" opening & closing them and no water damage observable.

With that said, what is recommended parts & cost and return policy for one parts unit to test my repairs skills on? Thanks!! Joe

Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, that makes this a lot easier. If you moved the window by hand and felt no issues then I agree with your assessment: we can safely rule out the hinges as the culprit and focus on the operator.

As for which operator that might be, you appear to have one of the Truth EntryGard operators. These come in a few different sizes but you should start with the 39-031, which has a 4-7/16" long link arm. That link arm size is going to be the determining factor here, so make sure to measure that before you buy anything. 

We also sell the 39-032 for the opposite side, in case you needed it. You can reuse your old covers and handles without issue, but if that's not possible for whatever reason then see our 39-323 and 39-205, respectively. I'll share specs for the 39-031 below for you to review. Lastly, if you did need a new track, I'd suggest our 39-505. It may not be a bad idea to give that a careful once-over, too, just to be safe.

Please let me know if you had any other questions!

Dimensions for 39-031
Dimensions for 39-031

Tom , Thank you-based on your patience & feedback I think we are on the home stretch now. See new pics which I took when confirming 4 7/16" long link arm. With that reference pic, final questions:

1) to remove old 39-031 do I need to remove the upper wood trim above the crank (see pic) OR will the arm be accessible when I remove the arm screws on the outside base of the window?? Note the 31538A mark on the upper arm. The crank & cover in inside of window have no visible removal screws therefore the question. (I've reviewed the excellent utube videos-thank you... very helpful!!).

2) is the 39-031 a universal part or a direct Truth EntryGard operator part?

3) Reminder this is a left opening window (ref pic already sent) so minimum replacement part seems to be just the 39-031 - agree??

Thanks again!!
Joe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3872.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3873.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Not a problem, Joe, I'm happy to help. Looking at these photos, I agree that you're going to have to remove the wood trim to access the screws. This can be tricky, since wood is prone to cracking if you aren't careful, so make sure to use a light touch. We have a video that shows how this can be done that you may find helpful, I'll share that below. You can see my pal Mike score the wood trim and then pry it up, which is precisely what you want to be doing here.

The 39-031 is a genuine Truth EntryGard part. As long as your link arm is 4-15/16" then I'm beyond confident that this is the right part for the job.

Lastly, looking at the orientation of your arms, I also feel confident that the 39-031 is the proper side. The 39-032 will be for the opposite handed window, in case you happen to also need that. Otherwise the 39-031 will replace the part in these photos.

Tom - PERFECT reply!! Regret my tardy response I cannot reply from work during the day.

I have a carpenter friend who will assist me w the wood trim removal. Thanks for the utube confidence/guidance information- very much appreciated! Order for two parts to follow once schedules line up.

Again, thanks!!
Profile picture of Tom

You're very welcome! I was happy to help. We really appreciate you considering us for your business, too, it means a lot.

Best of luck with this project and please don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of any further assistsance.

Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.