Pivot Shoe Replacement

A home owner from United Kingdom says:
Hi there. Emailing from UK.
Can you help. I have UPVC sash windows. They've been in for around 15yrs. It appears the coil balance has snapped and distorted the other 2 coils (top sash had 3 coils on it). Also noticed the balance shoe on the other side is about to fail with screw just handing onto the coils by a thread!
Are you able to recommend what parts I may need? Also how I would fit them. I can't see how to get the old out and new in! There doesn't seem to be any section to pop them out.

Probably need to replace shoes and coils on both sides of the top sash.
Look forward to hearing from you

Tarol
Cardiff (Wales) UK
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Balance Assembly
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3301.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named eb48f722-230d-4f0e-85e0-25c45cac7b29.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named eea48268-8d01-4922-a5f2-720cbda931ba.JPG
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hey there,

Thanks for writing in to us! We do not carry an exact replacement for your existing coil balance pivot shoe but our 15-199 Pivot Shoe should work well as a suitable replacement. To confirm that this would be a fit for your window, you'll need to remove the existing shoe and carefully compare the dimensions below.

(1-1/4" = 31.75mm; 1-7/16 = 36.5125mm; 17/32" = 13.49375mm)

Alternate view of 15-199
Alternate view of 15-199

This pivot shoe is compatible with either the 1/2" Series 160 (12.7mm width) or the 3/8" Series 165 (9.525mm width) coil balance springs. To determine which series you have, you'll need to confirm the width of your coils. Then you'll need to look for any stamps/markings that will indicate the spring strength needed for your window.

If there are no stamps/markings, you'll need to obtain the exact weight of the sash and divide it by the total number of coils in the window. That number will be the spring strength you'll need.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Jasmine. Thanks for coming back to me. We have measured up!
The shoe is correct size at inch and 1/4. The width of coil is 12mm. The weight of the window is Approximately 15kg (33lb).

Are you able to recommend all the parts needed for both sides. I can then look to place an order.
Thanks for your help. Really appreciated.

Tarol

Hi Tarol,

I'm happy to help! Since you have a 1/2" width coil (12.7mm), you'll need the Series 160 Coil Spring. Given the sash weight, I would suggest using the S160-7 and the S160-9, which are a 7.5lb and a 9lb coil. This will give you 16.5lbs on both sides of the sash to support the total 33lb sash weight. The compatible cover would be the 15-150D Coil Double Support. 

There are two pins on the bottom left and right corner of the sash, that are referred to as pivot bars. These help to connect the sash to the shoe and allow it to tilt in and out. The pivot bar compatible with this shoe is the 26-378.

Alternate image for 26-378
Alternate image for 26-378

All of the parts you would need to make your repairs have been included in this thread; they can be viewed below. You'll need an equal amount of replacement hardware for each side of the window. If you need assistance with placing the order, our customer service team can be reached at (888) 991-1929, they will be more than happy to assist.

Hi Jasmine. Thanks for your help.
Just got 1 query on the 3" pivot bar.
The window we have an issue with is the top sash. So you can really see the connections/screw areas for the bar due to the UPVC covering it. Is there a 90degree version or are they usually the same bars?
Thanks
Tarol

Hi Tarol,

It is typically recommended to replace your hardware with what is already installed in the sash. If the 26-378 not the correct replacement match for your pivot bars and yours is made at a 90 degree angle, I'll need to see a photo of an undamaged pivot bar, removed from the sash, to identify the correct replacement.

I hope this helps!

Hi Jasmine. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
I have placed order.
Have a good weekend

Tarol

I'm happy to help! Please don't hesitate to reach out with any other hardware repair questions.

Have a great weekend!

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.