Broken Channel Balances/Unknown Window Brand

A handy person from Louisville KY says:
The only potentially useful markings I found are "36D" on the bottom of the channel. They don't appear ribbed. The first photo is from a window that works. The whole rectangular sliding piece is completely disintegrated in the bad window, so I can't really get pics of it. The other 4 are from the damaged window.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20240212_173615194.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20240212_173647135.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20240212_173708346.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20240212_173819744.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20240212_174450810.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. Your old balance looks like a good match for our Series 770. This has the same style channel and terminal clip as your originals, but review the information we have on its store page and see what you think.

It also looks like you need a new pivot shoe. There are a ton of viable replacements for this but it will ultimately depend on size. I'm happy to make a suggestion but I will need precise, written measurements, specifically its width and thickness. Once I have those two dimensions I can check our inventory for a good match. I'm certain we'll have one.

What dimensions do you need for the shoe? Both are definitely wrecked. I'm guessing the other windows in the room are basically identical, so I shouldn't have any trouble getting the measurements.
Profile picture of Tom

As mentioned in my previous response, the specific dimensions I'm looking for are width and thickness. Height is not all that important. We're just trying to find something that will fit in the track.

You will definitely need to measure an undamaged shoe in order to get an accurate measurement. If you have an identical window in the house, you can use that, even if the window overall is a different size. Odds are they still use the same shoes.

Looks like the track is 3/4" wide at the opening, 9/16" deep. I can't tell what the overall width of the shoe is.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20240213_153941701.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20240213_154027656.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

You can't determine the actual size of a shoe while it's still installed. Removal is both necessary and advised. That said, if your shoe is 9/16" deep then odds are you can use something like our 15-118. This is 1-1/4" wide, which I suspect is the same size as your existing shoe, but the only way you're going to know for sure is to remove the original. I think the 15-118 is a strong choice right now, but until you have that size in hand it won't be a guarantee. It's up to you if you want to take a chance on it. For now, look it over and see what you think.

Alternate image for 15-118
Alternate image for 15-118

Ok, best measurement I can get without taking the window apart seems to indicate it's 1-5/16", so if you suggest the 15-118, I will take that advice and get with the client about placing the order. Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom

The 15-118 is 1-1/4" wide, not 1-5/16". 1-5/16" is honestly a pretty peculiar size for this style shoe; like I mentioned above, you're not going to get an accurate measurement while it's still in the track. Believe me on that. Your only options at this point are to remove the shoe to verify its size or take a gamble that my 1-1/4" guess is accurate. It's ultimately up to you.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.