Vintage window balances

A home owner from Maryland says:
Hi, we have double hung wood windows in a 1950s ranch. No identifying marks that I can find. The balances seem to be just a plastic tube with a spring inside, screwed to the sash at the top and the bottom of the window itself. We would like to replace them with something better, if possible. What kind of modern balance can we use, and how can we determine the dimensions and models we need? There are a few different sizes of windows in the house, but they are all constructed this way.

Bonus question: if we want to open both the top and bottom windows for better air flow, how can we install screens for both ends? (These are not removable tilt out windows.) The sash has channels for upper and lower storm windows, but only one for a screen. Do you double them up somehow, or do you replace one of the storm windows with a screen in warm weather?

Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240412_191204.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240412_190629.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240412_190639.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240412_190715.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. I believe you need our Series 500 non-tilt balance as well as the 17-012 which is sold separately. To determine the length, you will want to measure the outer tube and weigh the window sash on a scale to determine the proper color tip option. 

Regarding the screens, you already have one screen on the inner track, so I'd recommend you take the middle glass insert out and take it to your nearest hardware store to see if they can make a screen to match it.

Thank you so much for your reply! How does one weigh these? I cannot discern any means to remove the sash from the window short of dismantling the actual jambs. Is there a way to approximate?
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

In your case, you can disconnect the balances from the sash, place a scale on the sill (like a bathroom scale), and gently lower the sash onto it. It's not ideal but it tends to be approximate. 

Thank you! I will hopefully be ordering soon!
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.