Vinyl window double hung parts

A home owner from Smithville, Missouri says:

Unknown manufacturer of window, triple pane, 10 yrs old.

One side of window rolled coil broke. Would like to replace upper and lower pieces for coil etc on both sides of window and for a total of 2 windows.

Metal pin on sash on each side broke, need 4 pins.

Window exterior measurements 31W x 41T.

Channel is about 1 1/8 inch wide.

Thank you

Bob  

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 17132105878092692026840715672979.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 17132106427125961862680811242350.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 17132107169336787280957146754089.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 17132107392388425546444375109046.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 17132107702988409316234504378708.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Bob. For the pivot shoe, see our 15-177. This shoe uses Series 152 Coil Balances. You have to choose a spring weight for the replacement coils you buy. The spring weight indicates the weight each individual coil can support. Look for a stamp somewhere on the coil spring that indicates this. If there is none or you are uncertain, give me the exact weight of the window sash, and I can work it out for you. 

For the pivot bar, compare an undamaged version to our 26-226. Let me know if you have further questions.

End view of the 26-226 pivot bar
End view of the 26-226 pivot bar

Bob:

Thanks for your help on this one.

My coil bushing is a little different shape than this one, not sure if that matters or if a different/better design for same outcome.

On the plastic bushing, the number "11" is stamped. Does that mean 11 lbs, so I would use a 6lb coil? Or does that stamped number mean nothing at all, and just put there to keep us confused?

I see no number on the coil itself. I can weigh the sash but figured I would ask if this number was the one you needed first before I went to the trouble to weight it!

Thanks again!

Bob 

Profile picture of Bob

Your old bushing is an old design that's no longer in production. The 15-143, 15-144, and 15-145 that we sell serve the same function; you just snap them together around the coil to form a cartridge of sorts, then that screws directly in place.

You don't want to go by the number on the bushing. The weight stamp should be on the spring itself, and it should indicate only the weight capacity of that specific spring. So, for example, if your window is 10 pounds, and you have 1 spring per side, then they would each have a 5 stamped on them, indicating 5 pounds of support.

If there's no number on your coil, then your next step is to weigh your sash on a scale and divide that by how many springs support it.

Bob:
Weighed the lower window sash, 17lbs, 2 oz. My guess is that would need a 9lb coil spring as would round up to the next weight?
if so, can you send me the correct number for this and I can finish my order.
Thanks for your help!

Bob Nelson
Profile picture of Bob

Sure, using one 9 pound spring on each side of the window would give you 18 pounds of support. That's a little over your old weight, but only one pound of difference won't be the end of the world.

The 9 pound Series 152 would be our S152-9.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.