Weather Shield Window Balance

A home owner from Clarksville Arkansas says:
Need replacement balances for 8 Weather Shield vinyl windows. Balances are stamped 28TG B.S.I. PO as shown in attached photo.
They have blue shoes.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1898.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1900.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1899.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to look into this for you but we would need to see your balance shoe removed from the window to confirm the correct replacement. Also, please confirm the exact length of your metal balance channel, not including the shoe. Thank you! 

Need some help in best way to remove shoe from window frame. Metal portion of balance is 29" in length (see photos).
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1912.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1911.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey

Sure, have you watched the video included in our last response? The process of removing the balance shoe is shown at 49 seconds. Hopefully, that will help walk you through the process of removing the balance shoe. 

Hi Casey,

Yes I watched this video and several others.
It appears that this is a more modern setup enabling easier removal of window jamb. See photo showing my setup. I suspect we will need to use the cutout method for shoe removal. The rest of the balance is easy to remove.

Thanks much.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1901.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey

Unfortunately, there is no place to put a cutout in this type of jamb liner that would not interfere with the functionality of the window. For this type of balance assembly, it would be necessary to remove the entire jamb liner from the window to remove the shoe from the top. If you do not feel confident tackling this part of the project, we recommend enlisting the help of a professional. There are some older styles that are difficult to remove but, in our experience, the jamb liners that hold these types of balances should be able to be removed for replacement purposes. 

Thank you. I have contacted a professional installer and he will install these. Photo of shoe should be attached. The installer suggested I order additional plastic stops as they are somewhat brittle.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1918.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1919.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1920.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey

Great, your balance fitting resembles the 15-233 sown below, which we can attach to the S751-29 channel balance through a custom order. Would you like to purchase 16 balances for all eight of your windows? I would recommend making sure that all of the window balances have the same 28TG stamp code. 

DImensions for 15-233
DImensions for 15-233

As for your sash stop, unfortunately, we do not carry an exact replacement for yours. The only stop that we carry is the 55-043 shown below. If the dimensions do not match your part, I would recommend checking with local hardware stores that may offer a closer match. 

Alternate image for 55-043
Alternate image for 55-043

Profile view of 55-043
Profile view of 55-043

A quick learner from Clarksville AR says:
Yes. Please quote time and delivery for 16 - 29" channel balances for replacement of 28TG balances with short clip and the blue shoe. Existing shoes are the same width and thickness as the replacement suggested; the only differences are in length (current is 1" on long side and 7/8" on shorter side).
Profile picture of Casey

Great, we just sent over an order link and price quote for the balances you requested. Please note that the order link does not come with the 19-029 s-clips but you can add them to your order. You'll also be given multiple shipping options to choose from at checkout. Take a look and let us know if you need anything else. Thank you!

A quick learner from Clarksville AR says:
Installer says the original balances and window balance channel are 7/16" in depth. He's concerned the 751-29 may be too large. Please advise as to overall dimensions of replacement balance.
Profile picture of Casey

Good catch, that would be a problem. We sometimes come across a version of this balance with a smaller channel. You can see the exact dimensions below. If this is what you need, we'd be happy to send you a new order link but we would need to know the exact weight of the window sash since the 28TG stamp option does not correlate to the narrower version of this balance. Well also need to confirm if the balance had a rivet in the top or second hole to accommodate the S-clip used to attach the top of your balance to the window channel. 

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace the Keller Series 303 Window Balances
How to replace the Keller Series 303 Window Balances
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.