Window #1 with channel balance and rotted plastic parts

A home owner from Philadelphia, PA says:
Window #1
Hi - I am trying to figure out if I can fix some old windows on house we bought recently.
For this window, Window #1 (center window of three window front window) the balances were popped out above the bottom window and flopped inwards.
I was able to remove the balances following your videos. I have included photos. The balance length is 27 inches. It looks like one of the balance tips is a little broken (missing a little piece of plastic).
Stamps and markings are:"2620"
It also seems there are plastic parts along the side of the window that have rotted and therefore were not catching on the balance which is why they had popped up above the window. I have included a photo of one side of the window. The spring looks pretty rusty too.
I am interested in whatever replacement parts you think would help spruce up this old window and getting moving smoothly again.

Thank you!
Safiyyah
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1412 Small.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1411 Small.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1405 Small.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1395 Small.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1413 Small.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, Safiyyah. I believe we can help. If the channel balances shot past the sash, it is because those nylon pieces broke, exactly as you deduced. They are called Top Sash Guides. I'd like to see an undamaged one, preferably removed from the window and with pictures from the front and side. That will help narrow down your options. See the video below which shows how to remove and replace Top Sash Guides. 

Now, if the balances are undamaged, replacing the sash guides should fix these windows. If any of the balances have damaged springs or end fittings however, we can replace those for you as well. These channel balances look like either our S351-27 or S390-27. The only difference between these two balances is the depth of the bottom nylon shoe, or the 'heel-to-toe' measurement, so compare both with your old hardware to see what matches best. See the diagram below for reference. In either case, for a stamp option choose 2620. Let me know if you have further questions. 

Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.

Hi Bob,
Thank you for your reply. I believe it is the S390-27 so I will order a couple of those. For the sash guards I have a ttached some photos. Some photos of a broken one I found and some photos from one on a nearby window that is still attached--the screw wasnt turning and i was worried i would crack everything so I didnt keep going, but if you cant tell from these photos, please let me know and I will try harder to remove the screw.

Thanks!
Safiyyah
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1422.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1423.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1424.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1426.png
Hi Again,
I have one more question - do you know what that L-shaped piece of nylon is next to the sash guard? Visible from the photo of the top of the window? What is its purpose and can it be replaced? In one of my other windows it has broken.

Thanks!
Safiyyah
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1426.png
Profile picture of Bob

Thank you! This top sash guide appears to be a match for our 18-032. The diagram below shows it in a black finish, but it's available in white, too.

I'm afraid I don't know what the L shaped piece is. It appears to be part of the weatherstripping in some way, but it is unfortunately not something we can help with.

Front view of 18-032
Front view of 18-032

Side view of 18-032
Side view of 18-032

Hi Bob,
Ok, wonderful. Thanks for this info. One more (for now) question - it doesn't seem like the top window moves at all - just the bottom seems to slide up and down. I don't want to force something to move if it is not supposed to move, but in general, do these top windows move or come out for cleaning or inspection? Do you all have any guides about that?

Thank you!

Safiyyah
Profile picture of Bob

That's a good question. In truth, there are some windows that have fixed top sashes that are not made to be removed in any way. If you can't find a way to remove it, and if it won't even budge to begin with, then that may very well be the case here. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.